or Connect

Posts by Itsuo

I would suggest DC as a candidate for rough urban terrain.   Understanding people are much less likely to walk as much in DC as NYC, DC is obsessed with brick sidewalks and planters in sidewalks.  Both lead to horribly uneven surfaces downtown due to uneven settling and root protrusions.  My personal favorite is the water that collets in the space between and below loose bricks in the sidewalks. These pockets lay in waiting for  you to step on them and like some kind of...
Good points, thank you.  I've never heard of having it made completely in the jacket's facing material.  That would be quite the piece! I'll ask him again, I tend to move in the directions he guides me but I will consider these points.   Thank you for this @Lensmaster I didn't know about the association with white/cream waistcoats and white tie.  That might discourage me since I wouldn't want to stand out too much.    Yes, my jacket is SB with a peak lapel.   Very good...
Tbh I noticed with Alden and Saphir branded wax I had to buff with a woolen cloth (an old fuzzy Alden cloth) to get a good shine, but with the GK High Polish wax, it just shines up without the need of buffing.I only occasionally hit it before wearing with light vigorous buffing from said Alden cloth thought I'm sure any soft cotton cloth will do.
I can empathize with spending money and not being satisfied, but I agree with the sentiment of both posts above. You have to put your expectations in perspective, or only purchase in person.These are meant to be worn on your feet and they will bend and crease and even warp a little bit based on your gait/walking style over time. I don't see much reason for such a meticulous inspection (particularly across the vamp and in the arch) when wearing them will immediately create...
My pair of polished and mildly waxed Alden CXL LHS—before I sold them.. It was fine. Like all other things, came down to personal preference.
Thanks Red!  Hi @bradp, it's a lot of what you've heard before.  Just choose a wax of your choice and put a small amount on a cotton cloth stretched across your fingers.  I use a cut up old t-shirt.  I begin making nickel-quarter sized swirls on the toe.  It usually starts getting tacky/sticky quickly and begins to "drag". I then dab just a drop of water on the same place on my fingers that I dabbed the wax.  I then begin to swirl again.  You'll notice it's extremely...
My thoughts exactly!  @coolarrow  Do you have a pair?  Either way, I suspect you're right.   I was at a trunk show and the Quoddy rep said the boots would hold against snow/puddles but I've also just heard from their customer service they probably wouldn't.  I take your point on the bean-boot.  I'm just desperately trying not to buy a "disposable" boot.  I suppose I'll hold out for now, but Quoddy really needs to get something with at least a little bit of water...
I was recently visiting the store/tailor I ordered my tux from a while ago. I mentioned I would be interested in having a waistcoat made to wear with it in the future. They apologized and said they can't do that because the fabric they made the original rig from has already been used up and the use of anything else would not match. They recommended I have a white/ivory one made instead. I didn't commit at the time because I ordering some other items (and sadly, I knew...
I have two pair from last year that I just started wearing again recently.  I find they do not fall down, however they do tend to have a little extra fabric around the ankles compared to other wool OTC socks.  It's not from the sock falling, it's just the fabric stretching throughout the day.   It doesn't look terrible, I'll take a photo next time I wear them.   Also, be careful because they create a lot of static energy when worn with flannel! 
Any of you Grizzly Boot owners know how resistant to water the boots are?     I know they have a bellowed tongue but I'm looking for something I can wear in the winter particularly when it snows.  My Bluchers take on water and transfer it inside the shoe whenever they get wet so I'm a little skeptical.  This would be a disaster for an outdoor boot.     I've been told using one of Quoddy's more oily leathers AND using their Organic Waterproofer can create a moisture...