or Connect

Posts by linafelt

NowNow those are some serious boots... And a fine way to spend the day with them.
^^ Thanks guys.  Yes, heel is lowered 1/4".   Honestly, I think I was basically trying to reproduce with this boot a White's version of the black Red Wing Iron Ranger.  I have always thought that was about the perfect black workboot, with the exception of the weirdly straight back/heel on the IR.  But I found the IR last to be incredibly narrow and couldn't wear it.  The so called EE size feels about like a D, but it is only available on the amber and not the...
I guess it's possible that not everyone cares about my new boots as much as I do (!), so I won't continue to post an egregious number of pics, but here are a few.  Wore these all day yesterday, and am very happy with them.  I love the look, and they feel good on my feet, with just some break in issues on the inside of each ankle.   I had Baker's sand the block heel down closer to flush, which came out well, I think.  One of the unintended effects is that the original...
 No, those Christy soles definitely wear fast.  I had a similar sole on a pair of Caterpiller boots years ago, and the heel wore out almost right away it seemed.  They are comfortable though...
 I may order a few too, they look like good waxed laces.
 The OSB laces are some pair of very dark brown waxed laces, which I can't remember where I got them!  Sorry about that... Yeah, the Chippewas really were/are a great pair of boots.  They got a LOT of wear over about 10 years. Started much lighter and slightly nappy, and slowly they got darker and smoother.  Believe it or not, I never had them resoled, but reheeled twice (one I did myself!).  The soles wore like iron; of course they were pretty hard and in snow slippery,...
Current boot lineup:   Chippewas (13 years) / OSB Trench Boots (1 year) / SJs (brand new!)    
Mine are on the semi-dress last, but nevertheless they seem much roomier than the SDs that I have tried on in the past.  My sizing attempts have been complicated with White's.  (Though I admit that I seem to have weird, hard to fit feet...  I tend to measure on the Brannock between 9.5 and 10D, but I always have needed a slightly wider boot I know, and I only recently found out from the foot doctor that it's because i have both high arches and very flexible feet, so that...
Regarding my SJs above, Kyle checked with White's who confirmed that they were made with CXL as ordered.  I will take that to be true, and apologize for the false alarm.  (Though I plead being misled by the clearly horsehide tongues they included, and the fact that those tongues seem SO much like the boot leather.)   Anyway, I really like the way they look, and the heel job done by Baker's, so will now get down to the business of wearing them!   First impressions with...
 The HH, like the CXL, has the natural edges. Yeah, I know if I scratched or scraped them that it would show for sure if it was CXL or not, but I don't want to do that if I am sending them back. I can't quite tell the difference now (though am pretty sure they are Horsehide), but with a little wear they will end up being very different.  I agree about the softness of CXL, and I was always a big fan of Horsehide based on my experience with Viberg horsehide, but then seeing...