or Connect

Posts by linafelt

Thanks, good to know.  Yeah, the ones I tried on had a Vibram rubber sole (maybe the 2060..?).  I actually liked that they came with a removable insole because I took it out and replaced it with my own orthotic and it fit perfectly, whereas with most boots the orthotic makes things too tight and I have to size up (with brings other problems).  Ended up not buying the boots just because I was not convince by the shiny tar brown leather; but the fit was nice and the Vibram,...
Thanks misterjuiceman for this link -- it's a wealth of info on the nitty gritty of lasting and welting, etc, most of which is above my paygrade, but fascinating nonetheless.  (Thanks also for your response on CXL vs Chrompak on the other board...)
I am curious about the difference between Chromexcel and Chromepak..?  Can anyone speak to it?  I've assumed they are very similar, though in pics Chromepak looks a bit less shiny.  But wonder what the differences in tanning and/or looks are...
+1 on wearing your new boots right out of the box for some time before thinking of treating them (even with CXL).   With regard to  Brian the Bootmaker resoling Vibergs, there's this:     These Oxfords would have come with a wedge sole, but with a heel and half sole they are totally transformed.  He describes it also as being converted to a "hand welted construction," which I am not sure is the same as Goodyear, but clearly is no longer a Viberg style stitch down. ...
 A good case can be made for White's dress brown as the "standard" White's leather, especially for the SDs.  It will be more  hardwearing than CXL, but will pick up some nice patina over the course of a year or two.  By all accounts, it will last more or less forever.  Not as dressy as the name implies, and a nice balance between workboot leather and casual (thinner than the oil tans) leather.  Check out the pic on the first page of this thread, by slide13, with dress...
 Thanks meso. They are almost my ideal black boot...
My BHs at the six month mark.  Worn only occasionally during the summer, but four or five times a week for the past two or more months.  Not particularly hard wear though I should say.       I had planned not to treat them for a while, but the other day I did get them wet and a little muddy, so cleaned with saddle soap and did a VSC treatment afterwards.   I still love these boots.  The only problem at all is that they are probably about a half size too big, even...
^^ Some great looking boots here!   Just curious:  I once tried on a pair of Tar Brown modifieds at Moulded Shoe, and they came with a pretty substantial removable insole, which I liked.  Do all modifieds have that insole, or was it just that model?
^^ Though some folks do distinguish between the sort of "loose grain" that appears to be prevalent on the cheaper CXL and the expected patina that will develop on any CXL.  Alden and OSB regularly are criticized for loose grain, whereas it seems much less of a problem with White's or Viberg.  Though it does seem to occur on Vibergs as well, including I would say the pic above.
The Mr Porter natural CXLs look pretty good.   Slighly off topic, but if it weren't for the fabric on the heels, I'd be very tempted by those Visvim mid cut boots that Mr Porter offers: