or Connect

Posts by linafelt

Without wanting to extend this conversation forever, I would say that here again social context is relevant when you say "most people will agree."  I can tell you that practically everyone I know ("most people" in my context) would look at those shell 2030s of any shade and say "dressy."  In other words, different "consensuses" depending on where you are and who you know...
 Totally agree.  On both points! Would only add that the relationship between style and design & materials varies from person to person and from social context to social context.
Quote: This is now officially above my pay grade.  (Literally, way above my pay grade..!)
They were listed on Reddit as cigar shell cordovan Viberg boots, and this fashionable guy is wearing them with a suit, all I know.  Anyway, my main point is just that we all have our own particular ideas or even "rules" for style - but that's the thing, they are our own.  For some of us, these newer Vibergs are dress boots, no doubt about it, while I can see for others they are not. I confess to not being fashionable, nor very up on fashion, so I will stick with the Mark...
 And yet, many others would wear the dressier Vibergs with blazers or suits, including this dude, who is way more fashionable than me...  You may not like this style, but it shows that the nature of style is not an objective question, and again for some (I would say lots of) people these are clearly dress boots. 
I think we can all agree that there exists no objective definition of "dress boot."  It all depends on context.  (That's the nature of style, right?)  And I can tell you, in my world those brandy shells or color 8 shells, especially on the 2030 last, would most definitely count as dress boots.  And if Mark Trail showed up wearing those, Cherry would for sure say "Mark, where are you going in your dress boots?"  For me, that's enough...
 Really, "absurd"?  Calling those brandy shell 2030s dress boots is absurd?  Or the Color 8 shells that Leffot had?  Or even the dark brown calf on Viberg.com?  Look, I am not an expert on dress boots, so have no desire to argue the point.  But I do know a workboot when I see one, and those aren't.  I would also continue to say that anyone who pays a grand for a pair of boots has a right to compare them to another pair that costs a grand.  Not apples to oranges; more like...
 I don't know, it's hard to think of the 2030 last, CXL and shell boots that we are seeing on Viberg.com as being "workboots" in any meaningful way.  For their workboots see Viberg's workboot.com site, where the prices are mostly between $150 and $400.  The Viberg.com boots are casual or dress boots to my mind, and any boot that you pay $800 to $1000 for, you have a right to compare the quality of materials and construction to any other similarly priced shoe or boot I...
Just a note that it's really difficult to get the true sense of a leather in pictures.  Flashes especially make everything look shinier than it is in real life.   @mogli222, have you asked Whites to send leather samples?  They will do so very willingly, and even though they are small and it is sometimes hard to imagine what they will look like on a whole boot, they certainly do help.
 Welcome to the board.