or Connect

Posts by linafelt

One week in.  Worn five or six days, including in some rain one day, and for some light yard work another (after which I rinsed them off with the hose and wiped them down).  Other than the couple of days of ankle break in, as Climbinglife mentions above, they feel great.  I love the way these boots look -- a classic, slightly fancy workboot look.  Very happy with the contrasting silver eyelets, the cap toe, and the sanded down block heels.  The CXL is creasing in the vamp...
Pretty sure I had the same thing you are describing, on the inside ankle of both boots with my new SJs-- right where the bellows tongue folds back? Had it for about three days but now it seems to have broken in and is almost not noticeable, FWIW.
 Yeah, definitely confusing...  Here's my understanding:  White's has always treated Brown Smooth and Brown Oil Tan as two different ways of referring to the same leather, which I think is the case.  But they have in the past seemed to treat British Tan and Classic Brown as two different leathers, and indeed send me samples of each labeled differently. They seemed very similar to me, but I didn't look too closely because they were not on my option list.  But then, a few...
 Thanks, I appreciate the comment. We have our days...  One thing I will say, she's picked up a little of her Daddy's (limited) style:  her two main jackets are a Dickies jacket, and my old jean jacket. The latter was my stepfather's light motorcycle jacket in the 70s, then mine through the 80s and early 90s, then put away for years until rediscovered by my daughter.  It's faded, axle-grease stained, and torn, and of course she totally loves it, especially after seeing a...
 Right on.  It's funny, my daughter turned 16 recently and I turn 50 next year and we were talking about special birthdays... I said I didn't want a big party for my 50th, wasn't sure I would do anything special and she -- who has heard me talk far too much about boots over the past couple of years and given feedback on various Vibergs, White's, and Red Wings that have come through the house -- said, "you should go visit the Viberg factory for your 50th birthday."  I...
 Well, I certainly don't know for sure, but all their other CXL they clearly labeled as such, and they charge (or at least used to) an extra charge for the CXL, but do neither of these things for Br Tan.  And I am holding now my samples of Bl CXL, Br CXL, and Burgundy CXL, along with Br Tan, and the others all stretch easily when pulled, whereas the Br Tan does not.  It does however have a natural, untanned back and edge, but so do some of the other non-CXL leathers. ...
 yeah, they've become quite fashionable. Bradley Cooper has them on in lots of photos..
 Pretty sure Baker's will make you pay full price for a try on, but guarantee refund. But they don't seem to have a full stock of boots to send.  I had to try on a 10" or so SJ with big lug sole and heels to try to get a sense for my SD order.  It helped, but not nearly the same thing.
 I am as sure as I can be that the British Tan is NOT a CXL.  I mean, one hates to contradict White's themselves, but the truth is they are pretty sloppy sometimes in their question-answering.  I have always understood, and I think others will know too, that the British Tan is the same as Classic Brown, and that it is not a chromed leather.  It is a nice, light brown, and I don't know enough about leather tanning to know how it is processed, but I am pretty darn sure it is...
My sense though is that stretching rarely takes place in the toe box but rather is due to lace tightening.  I wouldn't worry about it in the toebox.  (Actually, I remember taking a pair of boots to a cobbler to get stretched, and he said the probably couldn't make any difference in the toe box even on the stretching machine..) As far as tracings, they definitely do not always work.  I sent mine, and White's recommended 9.5D, but I had just tried that on and it was quite...