or Connect

Posts by linafelt

Well, I certainly don't know for sure, but all their other CXL they clearly labeled as such, and they charge (or at least used to) an extra charge for the CXL, but do neither of these things for Br Tan.  And I am holding now my samples of Bl CXL, Br CXL, and Burgundy CXL, along with Br Tan, and the others all stretch easily when pulled, whereas the Br Tan does not.  It does however have a natural, untanned back and edge, but so do some of the other non-CXL leathers. ...
 yeah, they've become quite fashionable. Bradley Cooper has them on in lots of photos..
 Pretty sure Baker's will make you pay full price for a try on, but guarantee refund. But they don't seem to have a full stock of boots to send.  I had to try on a 10" or so SJ with big lug sole and heels to try to get a sense for my SD order.  It helped, but not nearly the same thing.
 I am as sure as I can be that the British Tan is NOT a CXL.  I mean, one hates to contradict White's themselves, but the truth is they are pretty sloppy sometimes in their question-answering.  I have always understood, and I think others will know too, that the British Tan is the same as Classic Brown, and that it is not a chromed leather.  It is a nice, light brown, and I don't know enough about leather tanning to know how it is processed, but I am pretty darn sure it is...
My sense though is that stretching rarely takes place in the toe box but rather is due to lace tightening.  I wouldn't worry about it in the toebox.  (Actually, I remember taking a pair of boots to a cobbler to get stretched, and he said the probably couldn't make any difference in the toe box even on the stretching machine..) As far as tracings, they definitely do not always work.  I sent mine, and White's recommended 9.5D, but I had just tried that on and it was quite...
Yeah, I was told that too, but in my experience (and I think others') the standard SJ last feels tighter in the toebox than the SD (or Bounter Hunter)... which surprised me, but there it is.
@broken_oracle, Sounds to me like you may want to go with the classic dress brown leather.  By all accounts it is pretty hardwearing, and I think it fits well in both work and slightly dressier contexts. And you wouldn't need to line it. There are not many pics of the HH with real wear as you say, though i recall seeing one before and slightly after pic, which I will see if I can find tomorrow.  My memory is that it picks up a lot of wear quickly.  No doubt more durable...
 Yeah, I like to call mine Smokejumpers even though they are actually Bounty Hunters.  The latter makes me feel too much like Reno Raines.  And fortunately nobody I ever meet in the real world knows the difference. Speaking of which, I am curious, do any of you ever run into anyone else wearing White's (or Viberg for that matter)?  I only once ran into a guy with a pair of SDs, and we had a great conversation.  Otherwise, it's only on the boards...
Without wanting to extend this conversation forever, I would say that here again social context is relevant when you say "most people will agree."  I can tell you that practically everyone I know ("most people" in my context) would look at those shell 2030s of any shade and say "dressy."  In other words, different "consensuses" depending on where you are and who you know...
 Totally agree.  On both points! Would only add that the relationship between style and design & materials varies from person to person and from social context to social context.