or Connect

Posts by linafelt

I'd love to see pics of these boots with a year or more of wear on them, if anyone has them.  I briefly owned a pair when they first came out, but they went down the wrong-size black hole, as did three other pairs of Vibergs.  These were slightly fancy for my tastes, with the scotch grain shell, but I Ioved the shape and the sheer old-fashionedness of them (with the 10 eyelets, etc), and I imagine the shell would have worn in nicely.
 They were part of the original stable of boots that came with the new Viberg.com site, two years ago I guess...  Black Scotch Grain shell!
In other news:  One of the things that makes me happy about those new Context HH's is the fact that they have sort of put the 2045 back on the map, after long neglect.  To me, the 310 will always remain the most badass boot last around.   But the 2045 is a classic shape and I'd love to see more new boots on it.   In the meantime, two compelling examples:  
Repost from a few months ago:     'I don't really think this is anything worth arguing much about, but a few quotes from a post Brett Viberg made on Ironheart:   "Currently I am trying to bring in good year welting machines, which will allow a larger production, still only 60 or so pair, comparing to Alden's say at 3-400, Red wing at 5000, Wesco and Whites run about 100 a day or more.... I also am hoping it will lower some cost, due to less hand work, hand lasting...
^^ To me stitched-down has always been part of Viberg's distinctive look.  White's is not really a genuine stitchdown as I understand it.  (Someone who knows more than me explained it all at one point on one of the boards, and in any case it looks different and not nearly as clean as Viberg usually does.)  Viberg's GYW boots are fine, I am not going to get upset over it, but I definitely think you lose one of the distinctive markers of Viberg craft.  And even if it is not...
If you really need a pair of black boots and were open to something cheaper, the Thorogood Beloit looks pretty good at Context,
The built in pronation definitely happens on other lasts as well, you can see it in pics, and I had it on my 110s. Maybe the only one I've never seen it on is the 310 actually.
 Not really.  To my mind it's one of the main repeat flaws that you see with Vibergs.  Maybe not "flaw" exactly, but an issue.  As you say it makes the boot unbalanced in both look and feel.  Not all are like that, but quite a few; seems to depend perhaps on who is lasting the particular boot..? Actually, at this point I have no Vibergs. I've sold the ones I've had because I could never get the sizing right.  But if there is room in yours for a real arch-support insole it...
    I agree with IIIrd Icon, no need to condition at this point.  Wear them for a year and see how cool they look, and then decide if you want to do anything to them.  Unless of course you get them covered with mud several times and have to wash them off with water, then a little conditioning might be in order.
^^ Wow, seriously misleading to have that Iron Ranger pictured under "Viberg"!   BTW, if anyone is an 11.5 I just noticed that 14 oz in Berlin has that last size remaining in their 1950 Service Boot.  I am not generally a 2030 guy, but always thought this was a nice boot.  It's got the old 8 eyelet configuration (my favorite on Vibergs) and even the "proprietary" rivet!   http://www.14oz.com/1950-service-boot-velours-dark-brown-dainite-sole-10233.html