or Connect

Posts by kentyman

BTW, your link specifically mentions both: "[bloo-ker, -cher]"
 Thanks, Patrick. I assume "Distilled White Vinegar, 5% Acidity" is the right stuff? I guess in hindsight I'm glad my Greek salad didn't have balsamic vinaigrette. ;) Would you do the whole shoe for consistency, or just the one panel? Also, should I be concerned that they'll smell afterward, and if so how would I combat that?  Thanks, I think I'll try this after the vinegar if for no other reason than to condition after all the rubbing.
I had a little accident with some new (to me) Allen Edmonds Sanfords in Whiskey Shell. I found that a stray onion from my oily Greek salad had latched on to the side and made a very dark spot. I tried to work it would with some Renovateur (the Beaute du Cuir version), but it didn't seem to have much of an effect even after waiting overnight. Unsure if the stain was more from oil or just more of a "watermark", I put a wet piece over paper towel over the area to hopefully...
 A few of my shell seconds have come without the seconds mark. Anyone else notice this. Is it a matter of them missing a step in the process of moving something from first to second? Does it imply a return that relegated it to second?
 I always wondered about this. First, I don't own any black shell. But I always thought that since it's super glossy -- like well-polished calf or plastic-coated patent leather but made out of much higher quality skin -- that it should be the exact right material for black formal shoes. What's preventing that, the waviness?
 Sorry to snipe ya, but if you're talking about Burgundy Cordovan Cambridges in 8.5D, it looks to me like they're still available! http://shoebank.com/FactorySecondInventory.php?STY=8685S&DIM=D&SIZE=085
 I purchased some Burgundy Cordovan Cambridges in 8.5D to potentially replace my Merlot Calf McAllisters. I tried for some Dark Brown Cordovan Dundees in 9D, but it sounded like they weren't in good enough condition to try.
 Off-sizes require them to cut and sew uppers they didn't already have in stock or weren't planning on making. Maybe $125 more is a bit much, but it certainly "costs" them more to make you a special size.
 I'm not sure, but my experience with dyeing jeans shows that dye doesn't stick to non-cotton, synthetic stitching, which I assume they use based on what Saddleback uses for their leatherwork. Also, every shoe I've owned with frayed stitching seems to have synthetic stitching because a flame will shrink the fray.
Yeah, that Darby looks spot-on. Good find.