or Connect

Posts by kaxixi

Swings with the 55lbs crush me.
Hopleaf?
Yeah, pretty lucky so far. Have to work to keep weight on.
Really? I like McDonalds, and many other fast food chains. I haven't been in ages, but there was a relatively brief period in grad school when I went to McDonalds every 2-3 weeks. I'd order and finish 3 double cheeseburgers, 2 chicken whatevers, 2 medium fries, and a thing of apple pies. It was awesome.
Quote: Originally Posted by Manton I remember when the first Whole Foods went into DC on P Street near Logal Circle, which was still more or less a slum in those days (it has really gentrified since). Major outrage from the locals about a fancy store where those who lived nearby would be able to get jobs as baggers but not afford the food. The Post did a big piece on the turmoil. That's my WF. It's a nice store, and very busy. I regularly...
Quote: Originally Posted by iammatt ... Just to be clear, I'm not arguing that we'd see no large scale industrial agriculture in the absence of subsidies, just that we'd see less. But I am making the argument that the relationship is causal (eliminating subsidies would increase the price of large-scale agriculture, thus decreasing the quantity of large-scale agriculture) and I'm not sure what you mean when you say it's not. You've argued...
Oh, duh, here's another important one: any policy that mitigates risk (e.g., price floors) reduces the need for diversification and promotes large-scale production of one crop.
Sure, just think that smaller, more specialized farms would be more competitive. Off the top of my head, examples of subsidies that favor industrial farming disproportionally are building roads and subsidizing gas (this makes transportation over longer distance cheaper), subsidizing electricity (this makes refrigeration cheaper), subsidizing "staple" crops like corn over niche ones like unusual hop varieties or heirloom tomatoes (subsidizing water probably has the same...
Quote: Originally Posted by Grayland This has been going on for generations and unless you grew up on a farm, or had hippy parents, your beef has been corn-fed (Canada is basically the same as the US - I've spoken with their beef council too). There is that old saying that you never want to see the process of laws being passed or sausage being made. There is no way to lovingly slaughter an animal. Lucky for us, we're at the top of the food chain. Tis...
No, but my ex bought me one for my birthday, then dumped me before deliveries began. I am not sure what she's doing with the deliveries given that she doesn't know how to cook.