or Connect

Posts by Oysters

So I spoke with Allen Edmonds the other day...         But I have read several posts here that suggest Allen Edmonds does in fact use corrected grain on just a few shoes (aside from patent leather obviously) - and I'm not sure this guy knew entirely what he was talking about.  So obviously the famous ones - the "representatives" of the brand if you will (ex. Park Avenue, Strand) don't use CG - but what about the lesser known models - particularly the two kiltie tassel...
    Dear mimo,   First of all, thank you for a very detailed answer.  I'd like to begin by saying that I can buy very expensive stuff, but I won't, and here's my reason.  I will be wearing these shoes to school (well, private school where I have to wear polos in the spring and suits in the winter - so don't laugh at me for buying dress shoes for school!).  My school campus (especially the extensive gravel bits) is like a shoe destroying machine.  I bought a pair of dress...
Dear Man of Lint,   Thank you, but what do you mean by "do not engage?"       Thank you, I had no idea Amazon offered such a discount!   I am a bit apprehensive about buying online, though - I could always go into a Johnston and Murphy store, try them on, and then walk out, but that would be a bit awkward.  
Hello everybody,    I was wondering about these shoes: http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/product.aspx?c=1215&sc=1215&pid=68092   I like the look (and the price even more) but before buying them I noticed (or am I imagining?) that they were slightly... square-toed.  Now, the fashion media has driven me to a state of utter paranoia when it comes to square-toe shoes - I'm supposed to avoid them like the plague and if I am ever caught wearing a pair of the horrid...
Okay.  I need to make one shoe a little darker and shinier.  That's all I need right now.  If I decide on buying more shoes I will re-post or make a new thread.  
I have another slightly unrelated issue.     I did kindly ask my fellow forumers to help me search for a new, higher quality dress shoe on the cheaper side of $100-$175 or so.     Is it possible to find a warmer dress shoe?  My feet have been freezing all day.     Is shell cordovan warmer than cowhide?  Will it keep my feet warm in lower temperatures?  I don't mind walking through 0 C for 10 minutes, but when the overall temperature of my indoor surroundings...
  No probs.  
    I think odor, mold, and infections is going a bit too far; I'm not worried about that.  Sorry for being foolish, but what is saturating leather?  What happens when I "saturate" leather with Dubbin?   I think there's a little misunderstanding; I'm not wading through puddles all day; I'm walking through light to moderate rain which I'm afraid will cause water/salt damage to the shoes.  I read that Dubbin was good against water damage, so I started applying it every 1-2...
Okay, thank you for the advice.     One question: what logic is there behind dress shoes' life being more than doubled if there usage is being cut in half?  Dress shoes aren't machinery - they are just pieces of leather connected to a sole.  Why is "resting" so beneficial to shoes?     Also, you're saying that the shoes could last for years or even decades.  So if I rotate two pairs, the uppers will last for two decades?!  I really don't plan on keeping my shoe for more...
  Dubbin has been working wonders on my dress shoes.  They have become a deeper, darker shade of black and shine beautifully - not too much, not too little.  Is there really that much evil lurking in that little greasy container?