or Connect

Posts by CrimsonSox

Stopped by the Barney's sale while passing through briefly in town: in 42R there's a couple of Battistoni, Campagna, and Zegna sportscoats for $821 ($1095 minus 25% off the lowest marked price), as well as a navy linen RLBL.  Just glanced at the other sizes, but there's a nice navy Battistoni in 40R and a blue chalk stripe Isaia suit for $821 in 46L.  Ties are all $39, including Seaward & Stern.  Didn't see any Crockett & Jones in the shoe section, or Kiton in the shirt...
Looking at the bold sections of the Times 1965 article, we can explain why the cost of Lobb shoes has increased ten-fold in inflation adjusted dollars since the late 50s.   Mr. Peal points to the problem of aging craftsmen.  In earlier years, it was much easier to attract young people for training.  But what had changed since then?  Young people are now expected to be paid more upon entering the workforce.  So the real issue is that after World War II, wages for...
Why has the price of John Lobb shoes increased by 10-fold in constant dollars since 1958?  I'm asking as a purely factual matter, setting aside the moral issue of how much people should spend or be paid.  In 1958 bespoke Lobb shoes were the equivalent of $564 in 2013 dollars, less than Alden RTW today (Lobbs were only $70 before adjusting for inflation).  I charted the increasing cost using archival newspaper reports that quoted John Lobb representatives.  The prices are...
You remember back in college, when people would call athletes "meat heads"?  Or how they would refer to someone who was brilliant as a "nerd"?  I always thought it was silly, but it illustrates something about human nature.  It's very hard for most people to acknowledge when someone is better looking than they are or smarter, without taking them down in some way.  "Yeah, he's intelligent, but does he have a social life?"  What's unbearable for most people (save for those...
Epic post and highly informative.  Thank you Dirnelli, Paul, Hugo, Sonya, Bruce, Benoit, and Ville for the excellent reviews, and for all of the hard work and thought that went into them.
 Love the DB Agnelli is wearing in the 1st picture.  The 2nd picture is a great comparison between the skinny tie trend of the 60s w/ the more traditional medium width tie (my preference).
 I see it more as "elegant Yakuza assassin."
It would be interesting to see a picture of your tailcoat if you have the opportunity Poorsod.  I love Edwin DeBoise's work at Steed.  And it's the rare elegant gentleman who owns a tailcoat!
It's very rare to find descriptions and reviews of Scholte's tailoring from the time he was active.  The following article from the New York Herald Tribune, October 20, 1934, compares a Scholte tailcoat and dinner jacket on the left with a more conservative tailor on the right. The Scholte models have wider shoulders and trimmer waists in the jackets, as well as deeper pleats in the trousers.  I've included the accompanying text on the...
A survey of spring fashions for men from Vogue April 16, 1908.  The review includes a lavender striped shirt from Sulka and an extraordinary tailored waistcoat for white tie from Kaskel & Kaskel, a top New York shirtmaker at the time that made shirts for President Theodore Roosevelt. Readers with a historical interesting in style will note that the midnight blue tailcoat and dinner jacket, traditionally attributed to the Duke of Windsor, are already mentioned as fashions...