or Connect

Posts by Sam H

Besides all the historical etiquette minutiae, in the US, white tie is fairly archaic and black tie is coopted by proms and daytime weddings. Black tie has probably held on for so long because it is close in styling to a lounge suit and because James Bond has immortalized it and kept it relevant. As long as James Bond is a living franchise, the tuxedo can't go out of style. White tie on the other hand is now probably seen more often in picture books and old cartoons by...
Just got back from my first black tie event! Was exciting. Just turned into typical partying anyway except in a tuxedo. Anyway, I wore very traditional clothes: peak lapel grosgrain trim ventless one button Mr Ned tuxedo, CEGO marcella bib/collar/cuff shirt with MOP studs, the patent/grosgrain strap shoes I posted above, silk socks, white suspenders, barathea silk bowtie/cummerbund. All in all very fun. Now I need to find more events to go to :D
First Mr. Ned fitting. The pants fit better than any pants I have ever owned (never had pants made before just jackets) and the jacket is coming along nicely
So basically when doing a search for Max Verre quality having never heard of them, a ton of links (including SF results) pointed to Max Verre being Tom Ford's shoe designer. I suppose maker is wrong word, as the factories in Italy are the makers, but Max Verre is the designer who also designed for TF.I think these are slightly different from the TF ones (toe seems to be maybe rounder) but the majority of the shoe is the same from the very thin waist to the strap encircling...
A bunch of my accompaniments just arrived today. I ordered Turnbull & Asser barathea silk cummerbund and bow tie. My tuxedo is going to be finished with grosgrain but I prefer barathea to grosgrain for cummerbund/tie and the Black Tie Guide says satin with satin, but barathea or faille or grosgrain all go fine with grosgrain facings.   Secondly, and probably something I'm most proud of, my shoes. I ordered Max Verre grosgrain strap patent loafers off eBay. These might be...
Man, I really like looking at pitti pictures. It's always so bright and colorful and probably one of my favorite looks. But then you step back and realize how it's not actually a good way to dress in the real world and it really only looks good in photos where the people there have a good reason to be dressed that way. Going through life that way otherwise, you either have to have the success and charisma to match your clothing or be thought of like Zoolander.
 I'm in NYC as a software developer at an ad company. Although I don't actually dress up for my job to the degree that you do, I can still relate to what you are saying somewhat. IT and Software Development are not known for people dressed well but they are also not known for having any sort of hierarchy based on dress, because of it. Therefore, dressing nicely is irrelevant on every level, except for one's own enjoyment. You have to deal somewhat with people ribbing you...
I got invited to my first black tie event ever. I've wanted to get a rig for over 5 years but I never did. This one is next week. After looking around, I realized this seasons tuxedos all have very high button stances. Hickey Freeman and Paul Stuart have peak lapel offerings I like except for the button stance (1700 and 2300 respectively). Brooks Brothers has a likely Southwick (made in USA) offering on mid year sale for 700 but without many details listed online except...
Thank you!
Could someone help me out with identifying this fabric?   http://i.imgur.com/w7BUAhf.jpg     I can't put my finger on how this charcoal herringbone looks so much richer than most black/white herringbone weaves. What is it about it? How would I search for it? How hard would it be to find a similar fabric to have a jacket made from? Most black/white herringbones have a mid-grey look. Some look dark gray or charcoal but in a very flat way. This one looks almost like a...