or Connect

Posts by Sam H

I just wanted to take a second to recommend Cardelino Tailors. I went to the one on Broadway. I guess another one is right around the corner from it and I don't know their relationship to each other.   Anyway I had gotten my first suit that wasn't from a place with in-house tailoring (it was a Hardwick Seersucker from AmericanSuitStore.com) and so I was looking here for good tailors. I settled on Cardelino for price, location and recommendation.   I am extremely happy...
I only see white tie at this event
Haha I used to get the job interview jabs all the time (software developer). Honestly, the only times I really dress up are when I can force it to happen. This is weddings, New Years, anything where I can not look out of place wearing anything nice (not even a tie, but more casual).
I think another thing is that something is classic if you could wear it in the beginning of the century or whenever just as easily as today. Both time periods have fashion trends that would look weird outside of the decade they were popular in but a well put together tuxedo should really transcend that.   If you put on a tuxedo to all the agreed upon specs you see in this thread and elsewhere online, it seems to me (based only on Hollywood movies, don't get me wrong)...
I literally just bought a Hardwick seersucker suit (well my GF did for Christmas, but it was back ordered so I received it a few days ago). I posted about it another thread. These are made in America suits, but extremely affordable. I bought mine from http://americansuitstore.com but I know that http://menssuitseparates.com also sells them (these are the only two Hardwick resellers I know online, they might also sell directly to stores near you). Anyway it's less than...
I think that the fixation on matching belt and shoes a lot of people have is somewhat misguided. It is a good rule of thumb that belt and shoes should match, but it was taken way too far. Belt and shoes should match in both dressiness and palette, yes, but the obsessive level of matching (in my opinion) ends up being a futile exercise with a tacky result.   If you have burgundy shoes, get a burgundy belt. The dressiness of the belt should be the same as the dressiness of...
I wouldn't overthink contrast stitching on desert boots. I have a pair of chocolate suede derbies from Florsheim and I was worried when I got them that the contrast stitching was Doc Maarten like but I realized it really isn't. As the shoe goes through actual use, a lot of the colors get muted and the stitching never really stands out the way you might worry it does if you stare at the shoe too long and worry about it.   That being said, don't try and buy one pair of...
Hey,   My girlfriend wanted to know what I wanted for Christmas, so I told her a Seersucker suit. Being cotton, it is in the same price range as what I was getting her (a necklace). So I looked around (I was just starting out my "buy sweatshop free and/or American" resolution) and found that Hardwick suits to be well regarded, affordable, and Made in the USA. So I told my girlfriend and pointed her to American Suit Store.   She ordered from them and she said they were...
 I assume you mean socks vs. pantyhose and the answer to that is socks but hose seems to be what people call all silk socks. These in particular are the ones I wore: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Silk-Formal-Hose/154D,default,pd.html?dwvar_154D_Color=BLCK&contentpos=1&cgid= 
I wore my outfit I specified earlier in the thread, last night. It was the midnight blue velvet jacket with subtle geometric pattern with smokey mother of pearl buttons and a white linen pocket square in a sort of triple peak but very close together configuration along with tuxedo trousers, cummerbund and bow tie, all satin. I had spit shined sleek pointed chelsea boots, white suspenders and a fly front contrast bib tuxedo shirt that was more on the casual side of tuxedo...