or Connect

Posts by Sam H

My eye doctor yelled at me about my contact lens habits and told me that my days of sleeping in them need to be done. Despite FDA approval to do so, she told me it's very bad and she was seeing cornea scratches and to start getting used to the idea of maybe wearing glasses some days or at least have a pair of glasses you like because 24/7 contact use is not going to cut it anymore.   Anyway I'm sure everyone will be happy to pile on about this, and I know it's stupid but...
I use David Gandy as both fit and gym inspiration very regularly, but it's too bad he's not wearing a cummerbund here. Not just because of principle but because cummerbunds look good compared to vests on V-torsos and better than the "flash of white"
It's a guy who is convinced that black tie is a form of bland subservience when contrasted with women's dress codes for similar events. Basically he does not believe tuxedos are aesthetic and that men should be less afraid to dress in experimental and haute couture fashions the same way women wear designer dresses that push various fashion limits at such events. He's posted about this before. While I understand yet disagree with his point, it's pretty much at odds with the...
  So, I understand your point about trying to have something that has black tie's elegance without looking like you are wearing a tuxedo at an inappropriate event. I've toyed with the idea of putting together a stroller but I simply have no use for it. I pretty much never need to wear suits much less long-dead semiformal daywear. That brings me to my next point, a stroller would be interesting if you were invited to event in which traditionally people wore morning dress...
I'd like to interest you in some vintage heritage curated selvedge suiting complete with YKK zipper fly and Goodyear welted full canvas. Made the same way are grandfathers did by firelight
I actually had the same question years ago. I never asked it here but I saw the photo and wondered to myself "where could I get a tie like that?"
I never get to post here given that I don't wear tailored clothes too often but I wanted to show off this linen jacket I just got made at Mr. Ned's. It's my second purchase/third received order from him (first was a navy blazer in typical merino twill wool and the other second/third was a rush order tuxedo I interjected into the making of this jacket). I only have my iphone camera so unfortunately the distance shots are not too good for showing off the texture this jacket...
I bought a pair of cheap Florsheim suede years ago as my first shoe purchase. I just wore them last night in the light rain knowing it's no big deal and not babying them any more. The uppers look great still, the rubber sole is worn and the insides are in shambles but this is from use of 100$ shoes over probably 6-8 seasons. Also Ive wanted brown calf oxfords for jeans usage for a bit. I think it can look good sometimes. This picture will probably send a lot of people...
Besides all the historical etiquette minutiae, in the US, white tie is fairly archaic and black tie is coopted by proms and daytime weddings. Black tie has probably held on for so long because it is close in styling to a lounge suit and because James Bond has immortalized it and kept it relevant. As long as James Bond is a living franchise, the tuxedo can't go out of style. White tie on the other hand is now probably seen more often in picture books and old cartoons by...
Just got back from my first black tie event! Was exciting. Just turned into typical partying anyway except in a tuxedo. Anyway, I wore very traditional clothes: peak lapel grosgrain trim ventless one button Mr Ned tuxedo, CEGO marcella bib/collar/cuff shirt with MOP studs, the patent/grosgrain strap shoes I posted above, silk socks, white suspenders, barathea silk bowtie/cummerbund. All in all very fun. Now I need to find more events to go to :D