or Connect

Posts by EnglishGent

5/50 Tsukuru Tazaki - Murakami It's already been reviewed and I wasn't sure what to expect. This ended up being one of my favourite from Murakami, despite the loose ends. Maybe it's the closer to real life nature of the story, or just the easy flow.
4/50 The Talented Mr. Ripley - Patricia Highsmith Much better than the film, the constant paranoia and insecurity really makes this.
3/50 Quartet for the end of time - Johanna Skibsrud Four interconnected people chronicled as they go through various lesser known events of 20th century US history, set up in the to resemble the piece of music with the same name as the book. Such a great concept that I really wanted to enjoy this, but I couldn't. Overly descriptive, often rambling and ill formed characters. Don't waste your time.
Thanks for the welcome 2/50 A River in May - Edward Wilson Vietnam war fiction with a twist, this was good although I understand the other work by the same author is different I'm ready to read more.
I've been a long time lurker in this thread and probably read 50 last year but didn't keep track. Lots of books I'll get to have been picked up because of the brief reviews you write 1/50 American Rust - Philipp Meyer Not something I'd have found myself, but very good. Thanks
Condolences Pio and good luck SField.
Quote: Originally Posted by Dakota rube I keep my list at Shelfari This looks good, now time to start adding at least this years books to it.
Thanks for the suggestions so far. It's probably closer to ten years since I last went anywhere and even then I probably didn't have quite patience and appreciation that I do now, so all options will be relatively new experiences for me. Tate Modern and British Museum are the first that sprang to mind, but also considering the Saatchi Gallery.
Making a trip back to England next month for the first time in six years. Have a couple of evenings in London planned and have a day or two to occupy. Would like opinions on the must see museums and galleries and how much time to allow for each.
Has been a joy to watch, notably Cook's batting. Most enjoyable batting however has to go to Swann and Tremlett spanking 20 off a Johnson over last night.