or Connect

Posts by EnglishGent

20/50 I, Sniper - Stephen Hunter 21/50 Borkmann's Point - Hakan Nesser
Realized I've not kept up with adding these as I read them, apologies for the lack of review. 12/50 Black Light – Stephen Hunter 13/50 Time to Hunt – Stephen Hunter 14/50 The 47th Samurai – Stephen Hunter 15/50 Night of Thunder – Stephen Hunter 16/50 On Chesil Beach – Ian McEwan 17/50 Amsterdam – Ian McEwan 18/50 Atonement – Ian McEwan 19/50 The Mind’s Eye – Hakan Nesser
11/50 Edge of Eternity - Ken Follett Cold war/civil rights conclusion to this triglogy. Honestly by the time I put this down I was happy the trilogy was over.
I appreciate you calling me out on this as I think this highlights the downside of trying to add a quick review as soon as you put a book down. When I finished I felt like there were so many unanswered questions, but contemplating it after I felt a lot more closure and should've updated my post.
10/50 The Kills - Richard House This was well written and an enjoyable read, yet after 1,000 pages it would've been nice if any of the threads of the storyline were truly resolved.
Work and family have slowed me down recently, however: 6/50 Fall of Giants - Ken Follett Nothing amazing, but a good story of interlinked families upto and during World War 1 7/50 Winter of the World - Ken Follett Inter war years sand through World War 2, a little edgier but still fairly tame 8/50 A Most Wanted Man - John Le Carre Not as good as his Cold War stories, but an enjoyable read 9/50 The Son - Phillip Meyer I almost forgot to add this. Appreciate the...
5/50 Tsukuru Tazaki - Murakami It's already been reviewed and I wasn't sure what to expect. This ended up being one of my favourite from Murakami, despite the loose ends. Maybe it's the closer to real life nature of the story, or just the easy flow.
4/50 The Talented Mr. Ripley - Patricia Highsmith Much better than the film, the constant paranoia and insecurity really makes this.
3/50 Quartet for the end of time - Johanna Skibsrud Four interconnected people chronicled as they go through various lesser known events of 20th century US history, set up in the to resemble the piece of music with the same name as the book. Such a great concept that I really wanted to enjoy this, but I couldn't. Overly descriptive, often rambling and ill formed characters. Don't waste your time.
Thanks for the welcome 2/50 A River in May - Edward Wilson Vietnam war fiction with a twist, this was good although I understand the other work by the same author is different I'm ready to read more.