or Connect

Posts by cathpah

Crema is no longer.  Was bought by Ancora, and (imho) isn't nearly as good, but that could all be in my head. Benkay is really darn average sushi, and in a town with so many great options, it strikes me as a shame to go there.  If you want cheap and surprisingly fresh sushi, go to King of the Roll (zero ambience, but cheap/fresh).  If you want to go all out, go to Miyake (the full restaurant, not Pai Men...the noodle bar).  Yosaku is also really good.  All 3 are walkable,...
Thank you so much!  Those are *beautiful*.  I think you may have just helped make up my mind for my next (and supposedly final...for a while) pair. Are these straight out of camera, or were there any instagram/vsco/etc filters applied? Seriously, thanks again.
Nah, I'm not talking about taste...I'm saying that I've seen some really bad offenders for the block heels (shelf waaay too large, angled out to one side, etc), and mine have been trimmed appropriately/proportionally and have been shaped correctly without any directionality.  I think that there may be one of a couple workers who deals with shaping/shaving/trimming the edges who just hates block heels and therefore doesn't pay as much attention to them as the other workers...
FWIW, both of my block heels looked great without Baker's having to touch them.
Can anyone point me in the direction of photos of a well-worn pair of White's in British Tan?  I love the look, but tend to be pretty hard on my boots, so they won't look pristine for long...so I'm interested to see how they'll age.
So much this.  All the mentions of Huberd's in the world won't make it a great product. inb4 "I've been using Huberd's for 40 years, and the owner told me to use 3 gallons each time I use it, and my boots are still boots...so it must be the best!"
Portland is now one of the top food cities in the country (really).  We have the highest number of restaurants per capita than any city in the nation--beating out San Francisco--so I doubt you'll be disappointed. Off the top of my head: Eventide (oyster bar and fantastic seafood...not a fried clams/steamed lobster place, though), Duckfat (the best fries on earth, cooked in--you guessed it--duck fat), Central Provisions (tapas style, just declared top 10 new restaurants in...
It's amazing how different all leathers can look.  This smooth distressed looks nothing like mine, yet is still really beautiful.  Might be time for me to hit mine with a bit of oil, rather than just my good ol' Leather Lotion/Lexol. Speaking of beautiful, I just got a sample of the horsehide that Baker's uses as an exclusive, and holy hell that's some nice leather.  Great pullup and great shine at the same time.  Really, really tempted.  I seem to recall that it's only...
Agreed 100%.  Second pair is vastly better, imho.
I would leave it.  These are a workboot aesthetic, so embracing scuffs/scrapes/dings will both make the boot better looking and allow you to wear them without worrying.   Beyond that, putting Obenauf's on is *not* want you want to do, as it's created for a very different purpose (waterproofing), and it can dull the leather.  Obenauf's can be a great product when used in the right application (boots that will see a *lot* of water and snow), but given your stance on this...