or Connect

Posts by cathpah

If you look at my post from a few days ago, there's an album of my Smooth Distressed Bounty Hunters.  Mine are lined, but that was because I failed at the internet on the day that I ordered them and didn't realize my mistake until it was too late (weeks later).  I don't regret the lining at all, but I'm not sure it was necessary...and I'm thinking about getting another pair in the same leather (potentially roughout side out) in an unlined boot specifically for...
In the only pair of shearling-lined shoes I've tried on from Rancourt (at the factory), they were only partially lined, and had no shearling in the forefoot/toes (where I'd really want it).  I'm sure there shearling lining would get squished down in that area and would likely make sizing a lot more difficult, but as potential slippers I was disappointed by this.  Does anyone know if it's possible to get them fully shearling lined?
While I don't disagree about being careful with coconut oil (easy to over-condition), I would also say that Obenauf's LP can be overkill as well...and can potentially diminish the luster and color variation on the leather.  I've certainly used Obenauf's on my share of boots, but those are generally boots that I'm putting through their paces and which will likely end up in big puddles or full days out in the snow.  For boots that have been worn for months and have only one...
Those are beauties.  You're a rare soul on the east coast to have cuban heels, but they work well here.  I climbed Chocorua last month, so I'm a big fan of the Whites.  (wearing White's in the Whites...ZING!) Yeah, Katahdin really is a blast, especially Knife Edge and Cathedral.  It was my wife's first time up Katahdin, and she's now hooked.
Yes indeed.  I spoke with Fok directly about it, and he confirmed that he saw no reason for my ban based on my posts.  He was great to work with, quick replies, and very helpful.  Truly impressed by him in this ordeal. (did I really just refer to this as an "ordeal?"  Time to head back into the woods already...)
Ahoy gents...I've missed you fine folks.  Apparently I got erroneously banned for some weird IP reason (surprised the heck outta me as I was lost in the woods for a week and completely off the grid), but all that has been worked out and things are back to normal.   I believe I've asked this before, but have yet to receive a reply (or at least one that I can remember)...can anyone tell me what tannery produces the Distressed Smooth?  It continues to be my favorite...
These are downright beautiful, BUT, from what I've seen, water buffalo creases pretty heavily.  For that reason, I'm not generally a fan of that leather.  These in horsehide would be amazing, though.
The heel shelf issue is one purely related to how much they sanded them down.  I'm not making any excuses for that, but it's purely cosmetic and easily remedied.  If you order through Baker's, ask Kyle to do a once-over on them, and you'll be good to go. Moreover, quality is determined by a lot of factors, the width of the heel shelf being pretty darn low on that list.  Build quality includes stitching, construction type, leather quality, clicking/selecting of the leather,...
Yep...that just what us gangsters call it on the s-s-s-s-streets! I speak jive.
Completely agreed on having less than great luck with trying to buff/brush scratches out of CXL.  A little bit of nose grease often does the trick for a while, but I think one has to embrace the scratches and gouges when going with CXL.  While I certainly think a leather like Distressed Smooth is much more up to the task of being a "true workboot," I'll be wearing my #8 CXL BHs quite hard, and have no concerns about the scratches that they'll accrue.  Given CXL seems like...