or Connect

Posts by cathpah

I actually really like that super dark brown.  Makes it a lot more unique than just a standard dark brown. Interesting to see how smooth/shiny the water buffalo is.  For some reason I thought it was much more similar to bison.  Congrats!
holy shiny, batman!  Is that brown dress and black dress? I thought brown dress was suuuper dark, almost black...but maybe my memory is failing me again?
Holy shit.  Those are beautiful.  Who makes those?  The "Baker's" insignia makes me thing they may be Drew's. Edit:  and any idea what tannery they got the shell from?  Is that horween?  I'd be surprised if they bought something from outside of the US, but you never know given the shell shortage.
Nick's recently confirmed that they can get both olive Chromepak (same as what Viberg used in their famed 3sixteen collab) and natural chromepak.  Be forewarned that their natural Chromepak can be a good deal greener than natural CXL (I have a belt in natural Chromepak that borders on mint colored).  I'd go olive Chromepak if not going with the Dark Olive CXL through Vermilyea Pelle.  While not my Nick's (got those in the summer and haven't had enough boot weather to beat...
Congrats!  What'd you order?
Glad I could help.  Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of them as they're just a brainstorm right now...but I imagine somebody on these forums has gotten a pair of distressed roughouts.  White's has sent me samples for their leathers, so I've seen the distressed roughout in person, and it's beautiful.  Just like the smooth side, it's not too different looking than natural CXL...just a lot tougher.
Whatever works, works...but don't you worry that's just going to create another hot spot on the boots/your legs?  I think I'd just recommend enduring the standard break in, and wear them like they've been worn for decades by thousands upon thousands of people.  Again, to each their own, but I think the break in period is worth it.
Given it's color, I would embrace it getting beat up and beat to shit, as I think it's really unavoidable over time.  Indigo transfer and just oils from your body/clothes will transfer pretty quickly, and carrying it all over and setting it down in different places will mean that it *will* get dirty.  Rather than fighting it, I'd just accept the wabi-sabi and get over the hump of those first few stains.
From the leather samples I've gotten from White's, the brown and black are both really tough and thick (just like the Distressed), but the distressed just has so much more color depth and variation...almost like a pull-up leather.  I think the lightness in color really aids in that, in the same way that natural CXL is so much more interesting than brown CXL.  I love my brown CXL Quoddys and have beat them up a good deal, but they're still just...brown.
If you look at my post from a few days ago, there's an album of my Smooth Distressed Bounty Hunters.  Mine are lined, but that was because I failed at the internet on the day that I ordered them and didn't realize my mistake until it was too late (weeks later).  I don't regret the lining at all, but I'm not sure it was necessary...and I'm thinking about getting another pair in the same leather (potentially roughout side out) in an unlined boot specifically for...