or Connect

Posts by cathpah

Brown Dress all day long.  The great thing about the dress leathers is the contrast that is revealed once you wear off the top layer a bit, and that lower layer is definitely brown.  I think black boots generally look good when they're black and grey all over, whereas 2 shades of contrasty brown just look awesome together.  If you want an all black boot, I think there are other options for black leather (black smooth, I'd say), but the brown dress is just downright...
Put some Obenauf's on the laces as soon as you get them.  That'll soften them up as well as increase tackiness a bit to help them stay tied. I've seen some pairs recently that hover around the 3 week mark, including one that was 18 days.
 That depends...how long of a trip are you talking about?
Their turnaround time has been really fast lately.  I wouldn't sacrifice fit for a few weeks of impatience.
Medium duffle--when full--is definitely over the carryon size.  That said, I use mine as a carryon all the time and I just generally leave it a bit less than full and walk onto the plane confidently, and I have yet to run in to any issue.
Most leather out there is not dyed all the way through.
Agreed...I've found them to be relatively rare, as well, however I absolutely love mine.  The light leather underneath the incredibly dark brown outer layer give such an awesome looking patina/wear pattern.  Here's a few photos of mine from a few days ago.    (^^ lots and lots of ribs). Also, here's an album I put together of some well-worn Brown Dress boots, as well as photos of a pair of new Bounty Hunters in brown dress: http://imgur.com/a/Yr588
I can't help you on the insole (although I think a few more wears may provide sufficient break-in that you may find a padded insole unnecessary), but I find White's' leather laces to be some of the best in the business.  I buy extras to put in my other shoes and boots that warrant leather laces.  Anything thinner, and I'd fear they'd snap pretty easily.  If they're dry, hit them with some obenaufs, and that'll both help them to last a bit longer, as well as helping them to...
If it helps, all 3 pairs of my White's are lined with their "tan" (read: orange) lining, and all of my socks are stained orange because of it.  I think I'd either go cream or black for lining in the future, but maybe I should stick with the tan to make sure all my (now) orange socks match.
For versatility, nothing beats a medium duffle.  Pack it to the brim and put it in checked baggage.  Pack it partially full and carry it on.  Travel somewhere cool and pack it half-full when you leave and fill it with stuff from your travels and use up that extra room.  No external pockets or anything to get filled with dirt when camping.  Simple, straightforward, timeless, and classic.   I have a medium travel bag which I really enjoy, but I grab one of my duffles (1...