or Connect

Posts by dbhdnhdbh

Don't worry about it? It is only visible when the shoes are off and the trees are out.You could try the various cleaners, acetone, Renomat, etc. An ink eraser? But perhaps do more harm than good.
I have done exactly this. Take a piece of leather, cut it to shape and use it as a shoe insert. Works geart. Not sure it has much effect on sweaty feet. I find loose fitting shoes help with that, up to the limit of how loose they can be. Most recently I experimented with getting the leather molded to my feet. I saturated the insert with conditioner until it was wet. Then put it in the shoe and went for a walk. I could feel it squishing down as I walked. Before too long I...
Nick, Thanks. I did the warming because someone told me to. Said it leads to better adhesion. Certainly it would be nice to avoid it. But I do find the protectors soften up and cut more cleanly. The jack has such an ancient 19th century cool look I might get it for that reason alone. The barge I use is the blue tube type. I think that is all purpose, not rubber?
Nick,Thanks for the tips. Not being a cobbler, here is how I do it. Can you crtique my approach?Line up where I want the heel end of the protector to end up and place masking tape to guard the part of the sole that will remain exposed once the protector goes on.I sand the leather sole but not the sole protector unless it has smooth parts. For some reason the Vibram protectors I get have a final half inch or so, towards the heel, that is polished. I rough that up by...
Very nice. I have been planning to do the same thing, but worried that the thin part of the handhold where you place the screw might not be strong enough. I thought I would drill farther back, closer to the heel, where I would have the full thickness. Then use a knob with a build in screw. Have you had any problems with the wood cracking where you put the screw or breaking thereafter under use?
 Wait. I thought the problem was that at the toe one has to cut into the, relatively thin,  sole, probably the stitching as well, in order to mount a flush toe plate- rubber or metal. At the heel you have this thick block of leather/rubber to which to attach the plate. You can cut into it with no damage to the structure of the shoe. I am sure there is more to it than that. There always is when shoe experts explain what is really going on.
DW. A model of clarity, as usual.   So the autosoler problem concerned nailing a solid rubber heel all the way to the insole? I gather for leather heels the assembly process is attach the heel stack to the shoe, then attach the toplift to the heel stack? This prevents having a nail that goes all the way from the outside to the insole, correct? But if one used a solid rubber heel, then the nails would have to go all the way.   Does anyone attach rubber heels with a...
As usual, more fascinating information from DW. Can I ask you to elaborate on this? Is the problem with the autosoler just that it is not the way it would be done by hand? When you were describing the large number of nails in the heel, I pictured the classic Florsheim look, which I did not think was problematic. Does an excess of nails in some way cause deterioration of the heel? Is the effect different for rubber vs leather? In terms of wear, is there a difference between...
It is possible to glue a rubber sole protector-Topys- to a rubber sole.   The problem would be getting good adhesion. You need a very uniform surface with the sole protector in contact with the sole everywhere, not just at a few high points. That could require sanding down the rubber surface, which might detract from the life of the original sole. If the sole is fairly smooth, then maybe you could add the protector without losing too much. If it is deeply contoured,...
Can the shoe experts tell us how they go about fitting someone's foot? It seems the process and choices would be different for RTW vs bespoke, but what do you do? For bespoke, does the fitting start with the shoemakers or the last maker? Once the last is done, how much control is left for the shoemaker? For RTW, it sounds like one measures HB, width and toe length, then tries to find shoes with lasts appropriate to those values. This requires, I suppose, knowing the...