or Connect

Posts by dbhdnhdbh

Very interesting comments from the people I had hoped would reply. For the thicker insoles in HW I can see that a resilient insole filler could interfere with footbed formation. With the thinner insoles in GYW does the insole itself conform, as in a HW shoe? Or does it displace, temporarily, the cork and form a footbed that lasts until the next resole?   I still wonder whether people who need orthotics are left out with this system. They get conventional HW or GYW...
Thanks DW.   How do the traditional felt, leather, etc perform for shock absorption?   I understand the concern about trapping moisture. I don't know how much difference it actually makes, that is, how much moisture gets there in the first place, but if it did, then perhaps one would set up a mold situation? If cork paste held together with cement is occlusive, would one of these synthetics be any worse?   Never having made a shoe, I did see from photos that the...
I am hesitant to ask this question, since there  is a potential to devolve into an argument about the merits of traditional methods. But I really want to know the answer, so it is worth the risk. Can we please focus reponses to the question at hand?   I gather the space between the insole and outsole must be filled with something, both in HW and GYW construction. The space is thinner with HW, but it is still there. Tradition has this space filled with cork for GY and...
Although he rejects the characterization, I view someone like DW as an artist.   Tell him about a way to make shoes that is, by his standards, better and DW will get excited and want to try it. He would pepper you with questions and thank you endlessly if it worked.   Tell him there is a way to attach soles that was nearly as good as HW, and faster and cheaper, DW would not care. As soon as you say "nearly" he has lost interest. He would probably be asleep by the time...
As usual, DW makes my point far more eloquently. Although I realize he is reducing to absurdity, in the process he captures the wide variety of consumer preferences. Some- of us- evaluate many of these choices from a perspective that makes purchasing luxury goods at retail almost impossible to justify. First, as many SF members know, many things are available on ebay for a few percent of the new price. This is probably the best buy on the market. You give up the new...
I wear shoes but I don't take them apart to inspect whether the gemming has slipped. If I send a pair for a resole I don't expect them to feel the same when they come back as they did before. How could they? They have new soles. The soles are thicker and stiffer than were the worn out ones just replaced. For GY, as Nick has explained, not only is the cork replaced, but the insole carefully flattened as best the cobbler can. After this the shoes MUST feel different. Given...
Re:safety. As far as I know, making leather has always been a toxic process. The risks start with natural biohazards- dead animal flesh- and continue throughout. Modern chemistry has created a lot of dangerous new compounds that are best avoided, but asking for nontoxic leather production may not be realistic. One would love to have all leather and shoemaking done with OSHA-level protection for the workers. This may be achieved now in American and other first world...
I should clarify my question. Do people deliver undyed goods as the finished product? Not make it with crust which is then dyed.
Does anyone make undyed leather or use it for shoes? I assume it would lack the perfect (?boring) uniformity of a good dye job. Would it also change colors as it wore, becoming even less uniform over time. It might end up looking like a well used item with rears of use. On child labor- I wish it were so simple in the consequences if we refuse to buy from third world factories that employ children. We would like to believe that the children would then go to the sorts of...
Probably, but we are talking generic lasts in the RTW market. Custom made bespoke lasts may not produce a perfect fit everytime (according to DW), but the problems should not be due to an attempt to fit hte foot into a standard last.