or Connect

Posts by dbhdnhdbh

Re:safety. As far as I know, making leather has always been a toxic process. The risks start with natural biohazards- dead animal flesh- and continue throughout. Modern chemistry has created a lot of dangerous new compounds that are best avoided, but asking for nontoxic leather production may not be realistic. One would love to have all leather and shoemaking done with OSHA-level protection for the workers. This may be achieved now in American and other first world...
I should clarify my question. Do people deliver undyed goods as the finished product? Not make it with crust which is then dyed.
Does anyone make undyed leather or use it for shoes? I assume it would lack the perfect (?boring) uniformity of a good dye job. Would it also change colors as it wore, becoming even less uniform over time. It might end up looking like a well used item with rears of use. On child labor- I wish it were so simple in the consequences if we refuse to buy from third world factories that employ children. We would like to believe that the children would then go to the sorts of...
Probably, but we are talking generic lasts in the RTW market. Custom made bespoke lasts may not produce a perfect fit everytime (according to DW), but the problems should not be due to an attempt to fit hte foot into a standard last.
I love the internet. Where else could someone like me, who has never even seen a shoe made, post right after DW and pretend I have something useful to say? To put a finer point on it, DW has vast expertise in this area, and I have none. The following comprises a small amount of fact and a lot of speculation. I offer it in the hope that DW and other experts may correct and elaborate.   Feet are complicated. There are lots of bones determining their shape. Absent...
Nick,   Re inserts. Exaclty. If they make the shoes more comfortable, people should wear them.   DW,   Good points. But considering the number of feet in the world and the cost and limited supply of bespoke shoes, the vast majority of men will have to make do with RTW.   You describe the problem- shoe companies have to use generic lasts, trying to produce a fit that is good enough for the largest portion of the population they can. Since they are generic lasts,...
Regarding shoe inserts. I am not a podiatrist, but there used to be several threads on AAAC frequented by such an expert. He said that people who truly need orthopedic correction need to be fitted for and have constructed real custom orthotics. He said that the vast majority of over the counter inserts were useless, unless one simply needed to take up space in the shoe- which means of course the shoe does not fit.   Now remember that he was a podiatrist, so the people he...
Yes, thanks DW, but can you tell us whether it works?   Since people avoid wearing their dress shoes unprotected through wet weather, does storm welting do any good in such situations? Does it help with boots made for wetness?
It is my understanding that AE has been making shoes without a shank, or without a steel shank, for a very long time. Long before the airports used metal detectors. That may be a benefit of the design, but it is not the reason for it. Remember that, for years now, most people are required to remove their shoes when going through the detector, shank or no shank. So no real benefit unless someone is a trusted traveller.   I don't know nearly enough about shoes to offer an...
Yes, but I don't like the feel of full rubber outsoles. At least, I have never found any that feel as good as leather with a sole protector. Also, I like the look of the edge of the leather, even with a sole protector applied. Can't get that with a rubber sole. At least I don't see how one could. I don't wear my dress shoes in other than the occasional shower, so a simple sole protector seems to be all I need to keep the leather sole from deteriorating in wet weather. For...