or Connect

Posts by dbhdnhdbh

I am always amazed by how much goes into this.   I had just assumed that the welt was always a single piece. Never looked closely enough to check, but I usually see one seem on the medial side of my decidedly not bespoke shoes, so I figured that was all there was.   I get it that a multipart welt would not by itself prevent the string of pearls appearance. I was suggesting that people who look at the shoes closely enough to appreciate that artistry of the stitching...
Rephrasing my question. It surprises me that leather is strong enough to hold with such a small amount beyond the stitch. Does the amount you need vary depending on the strength of the upper and lining? Whether these are cowboy boots made for years of hard use or dress shoes for a SF type who will baby them throughout their lives? Do you leave extra if the leather appeared more fragile than you had hoped when lasting and trim it close when it seems quite strong? Or is...
How much, if any, more leather one might want? Having never even seen a pair shoes made, I have no idea. That's why I ask the master. Given DW's obsession with detail and longevity, I assume the amount he leaves is enough. It just seemed thin to me.  I am certainly not reluctant to accept objective quality, but I do see tradeoffs. It is possible to invest an enormous amount of effort, trouble and expense in making even less likely something that is already extremely...
I am sure you are right about this.
Not so much extol sole protectors, trying to figure out the economics. If all leather, expensive materials and construction techniques produced sufficiently longer life, then that could justify the cost ECONOMICALLY. As in "It lasts so much longer that you end up spending less over the years than you would with sole protectors." I recognize that for many people on this forum, and particularly the shoe enthusiasts, sole protectors are ruled out by their appearance. It would...
Regarding the various channeling approaches to protecting outsole stitching:   1. How often to soles start to come off because the stitching has been abraded as the sole wore? I have not seen this in my small sample and in a few years on SF I have not heard of people reporting this problem. In other words, how important is it to protect the stitching? A major concern or making even less unlikely something that is very unlikely to start?   2. When the stitches are in an...
According to Nick Horween, the amount of bloom varies widely from different pieces of shell. Natural product produced with traditional methods. No way to predict how much you will get.    It seems it eventually stops once the extra wax has come out.  Horween posted a picture of a pair of shoes that had not been regularly wiped and became completely encased in wax.   The way of shell...
DW,    I suspected as much. Takes a lot of skill to make something look simple. I will control my cheap impulses and use the reliable B Nelson.   Thanks.
Noble,   Thanks for the reply. I agree I want no part of a half sole. I assume it must disturb the structural integrity of the sole, which is the platform of the shoe.   DW,   Informative as always. I have never actually seen this done, but if it involves essentially a heavy duty sewing machine, then there would need to be clearance to fit the full thickness in there.   While I have your attention, is resoling a shoe something a handy amateur could do without...
On a different note entirely.   I took a pair of classic longwings to a long established and successful cobbler shop. Nice guy who has done good work for me in the past, although not resoles. I asked him to resole the shoes. He looked at the double leather soles and said they were too thick for him to resole.   After that I contacted two of the mail order resole shops asking whether they can resole double leather shoes. The responses were virtually identical, leading...