or Connect

Posts by dbhdnhdbh

Apparently not all shell spots. Some samples do it a lot, some less, some not at all. Like blooming. Varies from lot to lot. So one could end up with shell that looks fine after the rain and some that will be covered with spots. No way to predict. I don't think resistance to water spotting is a reason to buy these shoes.
Definitely rethink the boots. Unless you actually need them, real winter boots are a pain. They are bulky, heavy, will look ridiculous when they are out of place and will be extremely uncomfortable-too hot- if you are indoors most of the time.   You mentioned "sitting in class" see what other people wear and dress accordingly. If you do not have somewhere to leave the boots and coat when you are indoors, then you need footwear you are happy to have on all day in heated...
From what you are saying, I think you need to try a different model.    You got a coat built for long times outdoors in severe cold, but it sounds like you don't need that. You are more concerned with fit- how it looks- than with how warm it keeps you. You are looking for a hat, rather than using the hood, with a fleece cap underneath for extra warmth. If you are "warm as hell" in your coat without layering underneath and would be fine with the hood down, or off, and...
B Nelson in New York apparently does this routinely. Lots of good reviews here.
deleted
DW,   Thanks as always. Can you elaborate? If the rear of the heel is elevated when the shoe is sitting flat then is it more complicated than adding enough material to that part of the heel to make it level? Since the concern is raised regarding the appearance when the shoe is empty or with shoe trees, why would one need the original last?
Different people respond differently to cold, medical conditions aside. If you live in a cold area, you will see people dressed at a wide variety of warmth on the same day. Some are bundled up with sweaters under down parkas and hoods. And they are still cold. Others toss on a simple wool coat, no hat, no gloves and feel nice and toasty. You need to decide for yourself where you fit along the spectrum.   The Gloverall looks like a very nice coat. Attractive, expensive,...
Wickid- Of those three, I would go with the LLBean. It is the only one with a waterproof membrane. The other two have a DWR coating, which is not nearly as effective. They don't say, but typically garments with waterproof membranes also have DWR. Given the drastic loss of insulation when down gets wet, a coat constructed to keep it dry will be much more useful. The problem with thermal underwear is that it is only good if you are going to stay outside. If you will be...
It was a very polite way of saying "we do not consider this severe enough to be a defect. We will not redo the heels. But thanks for your business. Aren't they great shoes?"   If it really bothered someone, and the manufacturer would not "fix" it, could they just get a cobbler to level the heels?
Lands End used to sell a very warm down coat, I think they called it a "commuter coat". I have had one for years. It is quite long and they offer (or offered) a long version. If you are short, like me, it hits well below the knees. With a detachable hood, it wraps your head completely.   Not a fashion item by any means, but it has a smooth (not quilted) outer shell so you don't look like the Michelin man. It would be good for Michigan winters. I don't remember what I...