or Connect

Posts by dbhdnhdbh

I have not had as much luck with just a dry cloth. However Lexol (brown bottle or NF) has gotten off a lot of polish. Renovateur afterward can remove more. If you really want to get it all off, I have found that even after Lexol and Renovateur (letting the shoes completely dry after each) Renomat will clean what was left by the milder treatments. I always use conditioner- again usually Lexol and Renovateur- after Renomat since I worry Renomat removes too much fat and...
I don't do a lot of celebrating, so celebratory food does not figure in my life. Again, no criticism of those who love such things, just not important to me. I think one can do overboard with comparisons, but since you bring it up, my understanding is that composite wood products like OSB and plywood can perform far better in many applications than does solid wood. The fact that they are manufactured from pieces of wood, glued together, gives them some of their desirable...
In general, particle board furniture is a bad choice because it falls apart too quickly. I suppose if carefully constructed with good veneers to protect it one might get good service from the particle board. But usually that kind of construction is done with plywood instead.   I don't eat eggs, so I am unfamiliar with egg substitute. If it has less saturated fat, and no trans fats, it could well be a superior alternative to the real thing. I eat food, but I don't find it...
DW, Eloquent as always. But I am content with my cheapness. And I am quite willing to call it that. I spend what I need for what I want. I happily pay Nick what it costs to do a very good job of shoe repair, for example. I do not live a life of self imposed deprivation.   But I have also discovered that things that many others prize, and are willing to spend large amounts of money to consume, have little or no value to me. So I don't buy them. I can cheerfully accept...
Well, I have LEARNED a lot about shoe making, maintenance and repair from DW and others here. So I am quite happy to continue my lifelong struggle with ignorance. That does not mean I WANT expensive shoes built to DW's standards. I can find shoes that do what I WANT THEM TO DO, for a fraction the cost. So why pay more? To satisfy someone else's sensibilities? That might be fine if they were paying for it, but not if it is on my dime.    I don't believe it is true that...
DW, I agree. Handwelted fit would change less after a resole than GYW. Or at least, I assume so, never having worn HY shoes. But note- I did not say the shoes felt worse, just different. They were well worn GYW RTW shoes. They felt different when standing and much bettwr when walking on firm new soles. No pair of shoes I own feels exactly like another. I don't define one feel as the ideal perfect fit. So the change in feel is not at all unwelcome. If I had foot problems...
If you are a typical med student racking up massive debt, then think economical choices. Buy gear that is functional, warm enough, and inexpensive. It will be a long time before you break even finanically, no need to splurge on clothing. Staying warm need not be costly. Lovely clothing as prized on SF can cost a fortune. Get stuff like that, if you want it, once your loans and mortgage are paid off.
For what it is worth, I am one of many happy customers of B. Nelson. I have had them replace soles and full heels on very well worn shoes. They did not fit the same when I received them. How could they? They had been resoled, reheeled and the footbed flattened. But they felt good and I will send more their way when needed.   To follow Flying Monkey, I wonder why DW finds it so important that the look and feel of the shoe not change at all when repaired. I suspect that...
Apparently not all shell spots. Some samples do it a lot, some less, some not at all. Like blooming. Varies from lot to lot. So one could end up with shell that looks fine after the rain and some that will be covered with spots. No way to predict. I don't think resistance to water spotting is a reason to buy these shoes.
Definitely rethink the boots. Unless you actually need them, real winter boots are a pain. They are bulky, heavy, will look ridiculous when they are out of place and will be extremely uncomfortable-too hot- if you are indoors most of the time.   You mentioned "sitting in class" see what other people wear and dress accordingly. If you do not have somewhere to leave the boots and coat when you are indoors, then you need footwear you are happy to have on all day in heated...