or Connect

Posts by Jake Volmer

Hello,   I was trying to buy a suit OTR yesterday, but it is hard to find suits in 36s.  I found this really nice Hickey (not Hickey Freeman) in solid navy wool for under $400 but it is a size 38r.  I really need a size 36s, specifically one that is slim fitting due to my thin frame.   Would it be okay to purchase this suit then tailor it down?  Also If my pant size is 30 and the suit pants are 32, can tailoring help as well?   Or should I just move on from this...
Hello,   I was trying to buy a suit OTR yesterday, but it is hard to find suits in 36s.  I found this really nice Hickey (not Hickey Freeman) in solid navy wool for under $400 but it is a size 38r.  I really need a size 36s, specifically one that is slim fitting due to my thin frame.   Would it be okay to purchase this suit then tailor it down?  Also If my pant size is 30 and the suit pants are 32, can tailoring help as well?   Or should I just move on from this...
Sure thing.  I'll do that tomorrow as the lighting here at 9pm isn't very good.  Also, I can only get a hold of one of the ties.
Done!  Good luck and hope you will post your findings.
I hardly ever wear suits so sometimes it's hard to tell what is appropriate or what looks good.  I'm going to a wedding in a few weeks and need help choosing a tie.  Below are the pictures.   The suit I am wearing is charcoal grey with a light blue shirt and black shoes.  If these are not the best color/pattern ties to wear, what are your suggestions?           ties to wear, what are your suggestions?    
Thanks for the advice.  I have not heard of any of those brands and am curious where I would be able to find it.  Nordstroms? Macys? or a high end specialty shop?
Thanks for the suggestions.  I have not heard of any of those brands and am curious where I would be able to find them.  Nordstroms? Macys? or a high end specialty shop?     Sometimes I'll look on Bluefly.com and see brands like Zegna, Tommmy Hillfiger, Armani or Gucci.  Are those slim fitting?  Gilt carries a brand called Aspetto but I can't find any user comments about it.
Thanks for the suggestion!
  That's what a few suit stylists have told me.  My chest measurement is 38'' and although a 38 in a suit jacket does fit me, my shoulders are not large enough to cover the area for that particular suit jacket size.  The jacket shoulders don't ostensibly jet out, but they do just a smidge enough for it to not look form fitting.
It's often said that a good fitting suit on a man is to a woman what women in lingerie is to a man.     I don't own very many suits and the suits that I do own, I don't enjoy wearing.  I have a very slim build - a shade over 5'9'', 135lbs and a 38'' chest.  I lift weights a lot, but I have a frame with very toned musculature, with not much bulk.  I've told myself not to lift in such a way where I am one of those shorter guys who walks around the gym with a super wide...