or Connect

Posts by DaveDr89

any luck selling your condo? Looks like it's still on the market. Still looking for an house on this end. Inventory seems to be slowing down.
Thanks. Yeah, my house hunting trip gave me a pretty good idea of the lay of the land. Heading back soon and will focus on getting something. Looks like a lot of places initially go on the market and are taken soon, whereas a lot of other properties start a bit overpriced and then have price drops of 5-10% after 3-4 weeks.
Thanks. In general, given the way rents are going, it looks like a potentially smart move would be to buy a single family home or duplex that's not too far from SLU as opposed to renting close to SLU at $2700/mo or higher (which is what something decent and not too small seems to cost). One loses the convenience but it might be worth it from an investment perspective. For example, one could buy this:...
Thanks for the advice. Yes, will be working in SLU area. RE my tolerance for traffic/crowded buses, it is very low so my real radius is probably in the 2-4 miles range or less so that should narrow down the search further. Yeah, if I can't find a decent house my fallback will probably be a condo in SLU either to rent or buy. It looks like a decent 2 BR in that area will be at least 2500/mo to rent and 500k to buy?
Just me and the SO. Mid 40s. Would like to avoid renting if possible. Thoughts on current buying prices and where they are headed? Thoughts on best areas within 5 miles of south Lake Union?
All, Going to Seattle for a house hunting trip in one week. Broad criteria below: - within 5-7 miles of south Lake Union area - property type preference: duplex, single family, condo - desired price range 400-700k - high walkability score Thoughts on current rents and buying prices? I've done some basic online research but would love to hear the opinions of folks that have lived there. Thanks!
Good luck in grad school. The interesting thing about grad programs in stats is that one can obtain completely different training depending on where one goes (probably more so nowadays as programs broaden their offerings). E.g., RE the books above, if the authors were to give respective short courses on statistics they would not have a great deal in common. Speaking of short courses, I would and this one to any short...
There is no right answer to the book question, it's just to see if they can recall any books. If they provide an eclectic list then all the better. In any event, here are a few books I'd put on the list: Casella & Berger, Statistical Inference Harrell, Regression Modelling Strategies Wilcox, Fundamentals of Modern Statistical Methods: Substantially Improving Power and Accuracy Gelman, Data Analysis Using Regression and Multilevel/Hierarchical Models Hasti, Tibshiriani,...
Great thread. I agree with one of the previous posts RE the lacking of fundamental statistical training by many folks working on data science problems. This also intersects with the generational aspect of how many people use Wikipedia as principal source for learning. While it is definitely a good source, it should not be the only source. Along those lines, when I interview folks for statistician positions at my company I often asked them the following question, "If...
RE "tricky", I was wondering about the time sequence of events. Duplex purchased a month ago and some repairs already made. Haven't moved in yet. So by "tricky" I mean the repair expenses will have an overlap between individual and corporate structure, perhaps complicating current taxes and taxes at sale (assuming rollover from individual side if personal income exceeds given limit). In any event, assuming that there are lots of repairs, it appears that if I live...