or Connect

Posts by dddrees

Actually this is what I was wondering. Is the quality of shoes even at the higher level going down? Is there enough substantial evidence out there that we can say for a fact this is so.
I get it, and I can understand why you've decided to invest your time doing so. I'm sure it can be rather interesting and enjoyable, I just haven't decided how far I want to go.
Very reasonable.I think I'm somewhere between a shoe fan and an enthusiast and I'm still trying to decide what path to take. In the meantime I'm still checking something's out.
I understand why you said that, however I don't believe as many are aware of it as they should be. Also I'm sure there are more than just a few who like nice shoes, but they don't necessarily need or want to know how they were made. I've made an attempt to go through this thread a couple of times. It's just taking me a bit more time than maybe it should. But as my interest grows so does my desire to see it through to it's completion.
Yes thanks @DWFII. But thanks @mw313 you also helped fill in a few blanks for me as well. This started being a Edward Green question because I had read a few post from some users that they believed Edward Green shoes weren't quite as good as they were 10 or even 5 years ago. They mentioned the leather being less thick and they believed the durability was not quite as good as it once was. I still don't know if this is true or not because I didn't start buying shoes of this...
Yeah, I've gone through a bit of this thread but it's been difficult to get through and I haven't been able as of yet to get the answers I'm looking for. I went ahead posted a few questions and DW just got back to me. Some of this is starting to make sense now.  Thanks
So it's the result of the whole process and not just one or two things, makes sense. Thanks So chrome tans also take less time or do they somehow cost less than veg tans?
Makes sense, thanks.
Also is it true because the animals grow quicker this also greatly affects how nice the leather looks?
Sorry if this has already been addressed already but I've been going through this thread and I've yet to find what I'm looking for. When someone says that the leather of the past seems so much better five or even ten years ago on a pair of Edward Green shoes could this be because Edward Green no longer has the ability to get the same type of leather they did prior? Is this possibly be because Hermes and companies like them now own the tanneries? Or is this possibly just an...