or Connect

Posts by Barrister

The best fit for me in the Gokey is one size wider but the same length as I normally wear, i.e., from 10 1/2 D to 10 1/2 E.  
Good points, Steve.  My experience exactly.
Lacing on bals in general should be in a shallow "V" shape, just as yours are, suggesting the appropriate width.   Looks perfect.
Aldens for me, for much the same reason: fit.  I have three pairs of AE in my normal size, on three different lasts, all of which are too tight in the toe box, so much so that they are unwearable.  I have tried on several other AE lasts, with the same result.  Alden Hampton and Plaza, however, do not have this problem, and I can wear them all day.   I see no real difference between the two brands in quality of materials or construction.  Alden has the cachet, I suppose,...
I have three pairs of AEs, in my normal size, on three different lasts, and they're all too tight in the toe box.  I have tried several stretching methods, but none has worked.   I have heard others voice the same complaint about AE.  On its website, AE states that its shoes will not stretch significantly.  I can believe it.
Does anyone know whether Carmina shoes are made with a steel shank?  I ask because they are allegedly much lighter in weight than other high-end shoes, e.g., Aldens.  In a detailed description of the manufacturing process on its website, Carmina does not mention the use of a steel shank.  The lack of one would be a deal-breaker for me.
I've heard that Carminas are lighter in weight than other high-end shoes, e.g., Aldens.     Is this true?  If so, is it due to the absence of a steel shank?  I note that Carmina's detailed description of their manufacturing process on the website makes no mention of a steel shank.   Does anyone know for sure?
I have three pairs of AEs (1, 5, 7 lasts) and all are too tight in the forefoot but fit well otherwise.  They are actually painful to wear.  Not having local access to an AE dealer for try-on, I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a last which is wider in the forefoot than these three.  
Good advice, sevenfold.  Thank you.
Good advice, sevenfold.  Thank you.