or Connect

Posts by Claghorn

Makes me happy to hear! I actually ended up making it twice, having forgotten about the first time I tried to do it. Ah, hell, I'll give it another go. Also, I like this line: how very, very, entirely silly we all are
Where else have you looked for alternatives (Loake, Meermin, Allen Edmonds, Carmina, Alfred Sargent, etc)?
Yes. His second job was at Hilton Tailor (doing menial tasks). It was his first since moving from the countryside into Seoul. It might be a moot difference, but it is still a difference. Though yes, I agree that it is moot because at this point, the outcome is the same. Though I suppose it should be easier to change now that the political/ideological forces behind the status quo have diminished.  He's Korean, and he had been temporarily banned a number of times for a...
In the sense that political forces are going to influence how the political science and history is taught? I don't know if it will. Of course, that influence is already heavily institutionalized
True^ Though I wonder how important that distinction was after the 1960s, the majority of fascist governments and movements having petered out, with the exception of Spain, I guess. I suppose Park Chung-hee in South Korea could accurately be described as Fascist, in practice and ideology if not in name, and I'm sure Kim Il-sung highlighted that in his own rhetoric into the 70s and 80s (with Park successor Chun). Park Jungyul of B&Tailor, early in his career, worked at...
All the best composers are in Hell
Somehow I suspect the former Bloc countries haven't been any better conditioned to think critically about economics and history than we have.
Noodles' buffoonery was the only thing checking my desire to turn this thread into a nerdfest. Can I summon @Academic2 as one does a Pokemon? Also, I'm keeping @heldentenor in reserve. This thread is missing a good discussion of the long term economic impacts of the Reconstruction on the South.
It's been a while, but I believe that Marxism is by and large an interpretational theory, though it also made the occasional prediction. It was the subsequent prescriptive political theories that, to varying degrees, failed to account for human nature. I've mentioned it before, but it irks me how the Cold War has influenced our learning of historical and economic theories so that we conflate things like communism and fascism (which are ideological opposites) and are...