or Connect

Posts by mimo

I think that's a pretty modestly sized pilot; they're kind of big by definition, and IWC's in particular.  There are smaller older models - the Spitfire and Mark XII, smaller overall and a touch thinner (39mmx10mm).  But 11mm thick seems pretty standard.   If you're not wedded to IWC, you could go a lot cheaper, still have the history, and a little smaller with it too: Stowa's Flieger is 40mm x 10mm, and Sinn's 556 39mm x 10mm or thereabouts.  There are quite a few Sinns...
It's not dressier imho - the silver dial would be more obvious for a dress watch than black, but the extra colour takes it back the other way.  But if it's not dressier, it is flashier.  I think.
Where. Is. The. Hairy. Blue. Coat.
You only have to pay half up front...and that's not until the order is confirmed...   [/enable]
See the Altiplano, also looks good in white gold.     This one is large (43mm) and thin, but weirdly engaging nevertheless.  The smaller 40mm with small seconds top left, or simple two hand 38mm, might suit you better, but either way they're worth a look.  For perspective, my wrist is a touch over 7".  The other thing is that Piaget seems to be easy to find well below MRSP, so good for your budget.   @TheWraith I vote Explorer too, for two reasons: firstly, I think...
I like them all too, although I agree about the Tank on a black strap.  Also, I kind of get you about the Patrimony not singing enough.  It's one that should be loved but somehow it's not flying the way it needs to to be worth the money.  I like the Jules Audemars a lot from the pics, though I've never had it on the wrist.  And the Reverso looks really great on you.  There's some logic in saying that a Reverso should be steel with a solid caseback, given its origin....
@TC (Houston) Gobsmacked!  That's a custom option?!  OK, no debate here.   Instead, for @DLJr , here are three completely random things that I've just found for $15,000, to get things back on track.  Against these, yeah I'd take the Journe.  I think.*   ROO Diver:       Parmigiani Fleurier something or other with bling:     JLC Reverso 1931 in white gold:     *(Images from Chrono24)
 Personally I can see the DJ or Oyster with jeans (on oyster bracelet, steel), more than I can see the Sub with a suit.  But as Mr Tifoso is demonstrating, the latter is not uncommon.  And the Sub dressed down is perfect.  40mm gold 1815 small seconds is around new for about $20k, mint used from about 18.  The 36mm one can be has mint used from about $13k I think.  So I get you, but I think the gap is small, even overlapping, even when you take into account discounts on...
 It seems to have survived better than your Stratocaster.  But if you're a rawk star then battle scars definitely add something*.   *(Just not to a Royal Oak!)  Thanks for bringing the goodstuff!  Unfashionable as it is, I rather like the "Rootbeer".  The Ferrier (Galet micro-rotor?) is one of the most perfectly beautiful dress watches I've ever seen - great to see real life pics.  That weird thing looks like one of the spaceships from "Elite" (we're mostly old here,...
Don't know if Stitchy offers that service personally, but I bet he knows someone in DC who does.