Posts by mimo

Gold gold is indeed not pink gold. What next for you, Frilly?
I believe that is a gold gold Daytona with gold gold bezel and gold gold hands and markers. 
 That is a wonderful piece.  Tell us a bit more about it?  If I'm not mistake, that's the quarter repeater?  I see they made it in steel as well as gold, pink and stupid gold, and platinum.  I can see it's not going to please everyone to have a gold dress watch with an auto movement that's bigger than a Submariner, but considering the price you can get them for it's an incredible thing if you like the look.  I think it's steam-punk fabulous. I agree that Chronoswiss is a...
 As a Richemont brand, I would have expected it at SIHH, now you mention it.  Curious.  FTFY. Or steel?  But not stoopid useless wish-I-was-platinum-lying-rhodium-wearing-grey "white gold". I feel better now.
Some things nobody cared about at Basel 2017:   Oris and the Poor Man's Sea Dweller       I don't own an Oris, but I have a soft spot for the Aquis.  It doesn't have the elegant lines of a Rolex, the brand cachet either of course, and in some ways it's a bit simplistic.  But I like the feel of them in hand and they always struck me as nicely made and decent value - with the discounts available that is.  They're big, and this new version is no exception at 43.5mm....
 That's quite fun.  I agree, it looks more like a vintage pilot or chrono than a dressy PC, and I'd probably like it more on a non-tapered casual strap.  I like the numbers, hands and lack of superfluous text at least.  However, two issues: I expect a font storm for the date numbers, and why the hell is it white gold?  Come to think of it, why is anything white gold?  I think white gold is stoopid.  There.  I said it.
What the heck, I would wear it and I'm 21cm too short...
 I don't think that's the reason they will sell a lot, I think that's the reason that forums get the predictions wrong: they/we think we are normal customers, and we're not.  Rolex knows that 99% of its buyers know nothing at all about its historical references, that the brand desirability is as important as the watch itself (cf. their sponsorship and advertising presence), and that if the market moves, they need to strike the perfect balance between influencing and moving...
I just looked up the new Sea Dweller.  Conceptually I was all ready to guffaw with derision.  However.  They are going to sell a million squillion of them.  I can't say I approve.  But they know their stuff.   One has to ask where the DSSD will go from here, but this will kick massive chunks out of the Planet Ocean and Panerai markets. Nice bidniss, Rolex.
Slightly smaller in the same genre would be the Hamilton Intra-Matic, Mido Multifort, and Certina DS range - all 38mm.  Mido also do the Baroncelli as small as 33mm, and there is the Longines Presence at 34mm.  I don't know if it's a coincidence, but all of these are from the same Swatch family, with similar Swiss ETA movements.  I was looking them up at Jomashop, where they're all on sale at 4-500ish.  The Longines is gold-plated and $800 something.   If you shop around...