or Connect

Posts by mimo

If you were to PM me a winning rate on no.2 (burgundy "austerity brogue"), you might lead me astray.
I never knew there was a market for such things.  Eeenteresting...
I don't really get the whole "tropical dial" thing.  Rather than "tropical", the word that normally springs to my mind is "fucked".   But I do have a guilty desire for the rootbeer - and agree about the strap: this one's nice, sold by the guy in the picture (@Singular)  Not a fan of the wrist junk, but the watch and strap combo is       
Each to his own; I think it's stunning.  But then I prefer a little understatement when it comes to cars. Compensates for the spectator shoes, I suppose...
The point about gambling is that the tax is paid at the beginning: poker is complicated because it depends on the venue, but in general, a lottery ticket or a bet at a bookmaker are subject to tax when you place the bet.  As the winnings are paid out of the money staked, that money is considered to have already been taxed.   It's been a long time since I went into the bookies', but I seem to recall that at one point there was a choice to either pay the tax on the bet or...
"I'm a professional poker player" sounds way better than "I'm unemployed, but I got cash mistah!"
 Don't say you're not employed, say you're self-employed.  Telling people you're unemployed will make them assume you're either a drug dealer, or planning to get housing benefit to pay the rent.  So that's why they're asking for all that dough.  A six month or one year agreement is fine - means you have some security - but you don't normally have to pay it all in advance.  It just means if you want to move out, you still have to pay rent for the rest of the period.  After...
Forget them.  Find another place, tell them you're a self-employed consultant, and start again.  They're clearly thinking something weird is going on with an unemployed person offering six months' rent.  A month's deposit against damage (held in escrow by law, incidentally), is the norm.  Paying big advance rent should not be necessary.  And you don't have to commit to a period - most rental agreements are annual, renewing automatically unless e.g. the landlord requests an...
That box probably costs a couple of bucks to make.  But makes you feel like a million to receive.  Excellent customer relations, and good to see an "indy" leading the way.
The Jag is prettier, and like any car in its class, has capabilities beyond any driver's on the public road.  Which is nice.  But it's also a leveler.  Once you can spin the wheels in third, anything else is really just for dick-waving or Top Trumps (anyone remember those?).  The Benz will always be a re-worked Viper to me.  Not that that's a bad thing, but if I were driving one on the road every day, I'd prefer the purposeful but classic beauty of the Jag, over the "look...