or Connect

Posts by horsey shoes

Look what just snuck up on the AE site.... Just when I thought my AE purchases were done for the year. Put me down for Portlands and Pine Rivers. http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF7882_1_40000000001_-1
Last MTO landed today... the infamous Mora in Walnut Shell.   On my wish list of discontinued models, the Mora was a tie for first with the Fairfax; i.e. what started this whole obsession. I was on the fence about the Ball and Buck special order and decided to keep trolling eBay and other places for the right look. When Paul made the MTO offer, the Mora was my first choice for MTO.   These were literally stunning right out of the box... I stared at them for...
  It has been a while (and many pages back), but I believe I used neatsfoot oil on these guys to darken them up.   I have experimented with Reno (mink oil based) and neatsfoot oil a few times. I would say that neatsfoot oil darkens more generally than Reno. Neutral wax I found to not really darken so much.   A few suggestions if you are trying to darken your boots. Probably start out with Reno first. Since, from my experience, it does not darken quite a hard as neatsfoot...
Second MTO landed this week... Fairfax in cappuccino shell. The Fairfax was what started my love affair with AE as I saw it in a few men's magazines (in chestnut/walnut) and even on a billboard or two near the higher end shopping centers in town. I knew that those were big boy shoes and that one day I would make them mine. When Paul made the MTO offer, even for discontinued models, the Fairfax immediately came to mind as a must have in a rare shell color.   As...
  It is the same color that came originally on the McA cappuccino make up... not exactly sure of the name, but I believe it is called natural.
First pair of custom orders landed this week... Fifth Street boot in cappuccino cordovan. I had ordered the black and cordovan color Fifths last year and wanted to round out the collection. I am VERY impressed with the color and craftsmanship of these boots. The pic below is pretty much how they came out of the box (i.e. Flawless) as I have only brushed them lightly for this first set of pics.     For comparison, I took a pic of the new Fifths with...
  I have worn the shell fifth streets for about 8 months now and they are pretty comparable to my other 5 last shoes; Strands, etc.   I took up Paul on his special make up offer and am getting another pair of shell fifth streets, but I am going with 8EE rather than 8E. When I spoke to the MTO SWAT I told them I was probably a little full for an 8E but would be swimming in an 8EEE. They said that although they do not offer it on the website, they had an 8EE last they could...
Typically I have seen E or EEE width options. I believe the Cambridge goes to EE, but not sure if there are others.
I have had almost the exact experience with the same sizes. Tried 5 last rough collection in 8.5D, width fit but too long. Tried 5 last independence collection in 8.5D, width a bit snug and too long (heel slip). Tried 5 last rough collection in 8D, width too snug and felt too short. Magic combo, 5 last rough 8E, 5 last independence 8E or EEE (depending on fit in store). Long way of saying, adding width makes a world of difference.
Digging up an oldie, but a goodie...   Cappuccino McA in the middle, brown shell strand to left and walnut shell strand to right.