or Connect

Posts by wyardley

Anyone have a 3.5" x 57" Kent Wang black / white shepherd's check tie, or a woven Sam Hober tie like: http://www.samhober.com/formal-wedding-silk-ties/formal-wedding-silk-tie.html in about the same size that they're interested in selling?
I agree with the posts above (just stick to the standard), especially since you only wear this 4 times a year anyway. Linen is most conventional, but if you are currently using a linen pocket square, you could maybe use a white silk one (plain, or with a textured design in white) instead, or experiment with slightly more elaborate folds. If you really want to introduce some color, the suggestion I've seen (and I think a sensible one) is to change only one thing. If you...
Finally took some pictures of the suit after having my tailor take in the collar and the sleeve (even though I didn't do surgeons cuffs, the sleeves were done in such a way that they couldn't really be brought in much). The pants are a complete redo, with a larger leg opening, which Black Lapel was nice enough to do, even though it was kind of my fault. Maybe it's my low shoulder, but the pockets really line up strangely with this one, compared to other suits (as best I...
For sale, one black barathea Ede and Ravenscroft bow-tie. Never worn outside the home; a few wrinkles, but perfect condition. I have the original box and price tag if you want it.   It is fitted and size 14 1/2" - however, I normally wear a 14 1/2 shirt, and this tie is a bit tight for me. Total length is about 30.5" (see photo), and the widest part of the thistle is about 2.5". If you've got a small neck and have been looking for a fitted black bowtie, this is the...
You could check out Rocky's Custom Clothes up in the SF Valley. They did mine; you will need to have a clear idea of what you want (they cater mostly to people looking for a kind of flashy style), but I think they will do a good job as long as you are clear about what you want. They will do the measurements in person, and will take care of making sure the fit is good after the suit is made (the actual clothes are made overseas). I think you'd be looking at about...
Thanks for the suggestions, all. My tailor is bringing the sleeve up 1/4", and thinks that the fix around the collar will resolve most of the other fit issues with the jacket.   Black Lapel was willing to remake the pants with a wider leg opening and bringing in the seat 1/2" or so. So, in a few weeks, or whenever those show up, I will post updated pictures.
  They have 3 standard cuts, so I think the proportions are set by their pattern based on your measurements. This is the "tailored" cut (in between their traditional cut and their slim cut). I was afraid that the traditional cut would be too big, even when made to my measurements, and their slim cut is a little more fashion forward than I was looking for.   What kind of cut do you think would be most flattering? I'm 6' / 140 lb.     Yes - that part is probably my fault -...
I'll definitely have the tailor adjust the pant length, assuming it's not possible to enlarge the leg (doesn't look like it will be). The reason the measured length was so long is mostly because I normally wear pants with a larger opening, so they sit a bit lower on my shoes and break differently. I did notice (after looking at the pictures) that they were hiked up a bit too far in the back.   I guess my question is not so much "is the fit perfect", but "are there any...
New navy suit from Black Lapel. First time using them, and the fit is pretty comparable to some MTM suits I was measured for in person. I'm wondering if the shoulders are maybe a bit too wide? Also, does the shoulder look a bit lumpy?   The pant leg is a bit more tapered than I would like - it seems like the pants break in an odd way with this small an opening (I like to wear the pants with a break). Next time, I would probably go an inch and a half wider around for...
Got a slightly beat up pair of Brooks Brothers patent pumps on Ebay for about $60. A local shoe repair person did a little bit of work on them; they still looked a bit rough around the edges, but were interesting conversation pieces (especially along with the silk dress hose).