or Connect

Posts by sehkelly

Afternoon all   The last of our shipments to Japan left the factory this week, which is good news for many reasons -- especially because it means what we call the "overlap garments" (garments which we sell in Japan and on our website) are as good as finished.   The first of are calico-cotton shirts, which are made from a natural ecru cotton, and then garment-dyed by some clever colour-masters in the East Midlands. In true time-honoured garment-dyed tradition, the cloth...
What venting. (Sorry.) Speaking of vents, we just added one (and only one) to a new development -- a casual SB2 -- at the factory. We have found that the short and very simple SB1 is good for some people, the more traditional trappings of the SB3 are good for others -- and so what better way to satisfy anyone left out than with an SB2. As well as being the mathematical average of the SB1 and SB3, the SB2 will introduce a few new ideas and motifs we have been working on...
Interesting. Good to know.  I do enjoy eliminating traditional / vestigial aspects on things, but the vent on a jacket had never occurred to me. Especially on shorter jacket (which ours are) I see your point (though this 2" vent thing I don't like the sound of one bit).
Hello We're reaching a stage now where, some of the cloths we have used since we began, we have become fond of, and enjoyed working with, and so intend to revisit every now and then. The heavy "big barley" Donegal tweed you mention is one such cloth. Particularly the tobacco / charcoal version from last year. Hopefully it will come back around again, before too long, and we can put an end to the haunting. The "Tetris" tweed -- which we've used previously for jackets, like...
 Hah. You can have the "heavy tweed" part, by all means -- but the non-vented part, I'm afraid, will not be accommodated this time around. You're not the first to suggest such, however. There's at least one other fellow I have met via Styleforum that is an anti-vent man. What's the thinking there?
I'm glad you ask ...   Most of the time, with our 10-ply jumpers, we use four different shades of lambswool yarn. And no change this time around. It will be a dark-grey / charcoal marle -- think something in the realm of http://www.sehkelly.com/navy-blue-grey-tuck-stitch-jumper/ (but without the blue).   Or like below, without the rollneck, and again without the blue aspect.     There may be another colour in the offing, too. The knitwear maker with whom we work...
Both would arguably be fine for you, but it depends on how much you intend to wear a) under it, and b) over it. The S will be snugger, but you will struggle to wear even a shirt beneath it. On the other hand, it will fit closer to the body, and thus an overcoat is an easier proposition (wear a 10-ply jumper and you will be very quickly transformed from a 38 chest to a 40). Thinking about it, after writing the above, I would only recommend the M if you intend to wear it...
Another good point. Minefield, this sizing business. I think it depends on the garment and how it is intended to fit. Our one-button jacket -- we make it so that, when buttoned, it is pulled together somewhat at the waist and lower chest. In this scenario, a 38" body chest would want a 38" garment, give or take a quarter-inch here and there. Any larger and, when buttoned, it will hang straight, without the intended "nipped-in" shape. But with a raincoat, say, or a...
Many thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated. Our trousers may all be let down for an extra 1.5" of length (taking it to 33.5" in total) and that, up until now, seems to satisfy the customers that come our way. I am 6'2" myself and the standard 32" is fine for me (in fact, I roll the leg up). I guess if you are 6'4" or over you would be in trouble -- but I suppose the way we reason not offering anything longer is that we've never been asked to make anything longer,...
Hello Styleforum   A few of the folk who have found us via this thread has been asking recently about our peacoat, which we made last year in a couple of Donegal tweeds, and before that, in the cloth woven for us here in London. The good news is that we will be making the peacoat again this year, after summer -- and although the cloth as yet has not been chosen, it will be something suitably thick and textured.   We've also been working, just this week in fact, on a...