or Connect

Posts by sehkelly

Coincidentally, we have begun cutting the new duffle coat, and expect to have them made within the next two weeks. Here is the pattern, doing what patterns are often found to do, lying around the cutting table. And here is the latest prototype of the coat, which is currently serves at the factory as a reference sample for production. If there's anything else I can tell you about it -- the cloth of the shape or what-have-you -- then by all means, please ask away. Paul
Evening all I've mentioned here a few times our ongoing opticals development -- and I am pleased and proud to declare that it is now finished. We have made three frames in total: two from tortoiseshell acetate and gold, and one from matted black acetate and gold. They are made by a place down the road from our workshop, here in London, which opened its doors in 1930, and has been toiling away with much the same contraptions ever since. It is the last such...
Morning / afternoon / evening all Since I alluded to a couple of developments here, a few weeks back, here is an update on the end results. First is the use of a new quality of Ventile -- a very canvas, duck-like in look and feel, which weighs in around the 18oz mark. A pleasure to work with, this, although rather tiring on the hands if you're cutting it all day long. The other one is the lambswool-angora raglan shirt. Not so hard on the hands this; it is as soft as...
Yes -- the balmacaan appeared earlier in the summer in a heavyweight herringbone linen, below, and will return in a few months in a Donegal tweed (also herringbone, coincidentally enough).        And, if you do your shopping in Japan, there's a heavy cotton-twill version making its way to a few shops over there next month.   It has a one-piece sleeve, goes down to knee level, two-way welt pockets, and a throat latch hidden under the collar.   Sorry -- I know...
 I am just over six-foot and the current toile sits at knee level. We are always conscious of balancing our collection, so since we have the car coat and peacoat above the knee, and the balmacaan and trench coat both below, putting the duffle coat in between seems to make sense.Always open to suggestions, mind.
... if you'd like specific advice about our shirts, you can always drop me a line at info@sehkelly.com.   In other news, I hope everyone is having a good weekend.   We seem to be ahead of ourselves this year, with most of the spring-time stuff done and dusted, and lots of work going on behind the scenes for winter.   What we're doing at the moment is developing a duffle coat.   We want to make a traditional duffle coat, deep down -- so it will be quite long and...
Hello Styleforummers   What with all the hot weather on the way this week and next week, we decided to make some jackets with the thickest and heaviest cloth we've ever encountered. It's a brand new type of Ventile, which has the appearance of a really thick and dry duck canvas, and all the water-proofness of, well ... Ventile.     It is great, though it doesn't half hurt your hands if you're cutting it all day long. We are making some hood jackets with it. There is...
Hello If you're a 38, then the size S is certainly the way to go. We size our padded garments such that they fit the same on the inside as their unpadded equivalents, if that makes sense. With regards to layering -- well, the tour jacket is intended to have a fairly relaxed fit, so you'd be able to wear at the very least a shirt and overshirt / sweater beneath it. I hope that helps somewhat. Paul
In other news ...   We have been developing a spectacle frame / sunglasses for the best part of 14 months now.   It is being made with one of the last frame makers in Britain, all hand-made, with a handful of people cutting and shaping and whittling and buffing the frame like woodworkers. Remarkable. The final drawings were, um ... drawn-up, yesterday, and this means they aren't far away at all.        Here they are, along with the most recent -- slightly...
Public transport up there is indeed a thing of wonder. I've put together some more words and pictures from the linen mill over at http://www.sehkelly.com/makers/linen-weaver-hebrides-scotland/.  Paul