Posts by wdahab

$745 total (billed out of state)
PTB is a wholecut and a blucher. The Dover is a derby (the eyelets/quarters are on a separate piece from the vamp). Dovers are also usually unlined, though J Crew recently had a pair that was lined. Also some stockings will call a Dover a blucher, which isn't true but most people would never notice the difference
I find that as boots crease, the creases take up a bit of the volume of the boot. Additionally as the sole breaks in, the toes turn up a bit as well. All in all I find most shell shoes shrink fit wise rather than stretch over time. If they start out too tight or with a toe feeling cramped, that gets worse, never better.
Not a specific aesthetic reason. But just as certain shoes were clearly historically designed for a specific last (the LWB is Barrie, the Indy is TruBalance) this one was designed for the modified last. And something about it is such a traditional styling that I decided I wanted to definitely stick with it.Caveat: I don't have rigorous evidence. But you can find v-tips with 3-digit model numbers, all calfskin, like the 539, and they're all modified last. Barrie lasted...
My new Alden Rocketships (model number 54321, v-tip on the modified last, with orthopedic heel). Got them from Moulded Shoe yesterday. They are available some places on the Barrie, but I say this is the one shoe that is definitively meant to be on the modified last.
Stopped by Moulded Shoe and picked up a pair of the 54321, color #8 v-tips. I always love that shop, but they have said that Alden has decided they can have shell cordovan modified last again, and they are going to definitely be getting more models in. Of course, I wouldn't hold my breath for any rare shell any time soon, but we can hope.
IMO obenaufs LP or sno seal are only useful if you are gonna wear these boots in the rain or mud for hours every day, professionally. For any other use they will over oil your boot, darken them, make them tacky feeling and not attractive. Indy boots are water resistant from the start. So never. However other light conditioners like VSC or Lexol are great to use, for health, once or twice a year. No need right away.
Having an enablement dilemma. Should I get a pair of 54321s (#8 modified Algonquin v tips) or not. Pretty redundant with my collection and pretty out there for most people. But still gorgeous and interesting. I can afford it but of course the question is should I?
Definitely does, and the 30% twice a year corporate discount day (I dunno when it will be, but usually March) works too online. In stores they say it doesn't, though.
About 3 weeks ago. And I'm just rubbing it in a little, it was definitely a one off event and I for sure know what a deal they were at the price.