or Connect

Posts by wdahab

My "I didn't know I needed these in my life until I had them" whiskey NSTs from Alden of Carmel today.
Yeah it's a bluchers (a derby really). Sorry if that was unclear.
Hrmmm... Brogue has a pre-order for Color #8 V-Tips on the Barrie with antique *reverse* welt with commando soles. One of the most completely-different-than-everyone-else styles I've seen in color #8. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger, but hesitant about the reverse welt... that said, I would love to get a v-tip, especially on an antique welt.
^ The squared off nature of the U-stitch makes me think TruBalance. Barrie U-stitches tend to be more curved.
Well it's Wednesday which seems an auspicious day to get these beauties in the mail from Adam:
Wearing my #8 LWBs by Bureau Belfast today. Decided that I really didn't love how dark black they were (and had stayed for 9 months of wear) so I put them in a window of direct sunlight for a week or so. As you can see, even the new #8 level of darkness fades quite a bit in sunlight. I think these look just sooo much better (even if the inconsistent coloring isn't everyone's favorite).
New AF53s today. Figured that by the time boot weather rolls around, it would be too late. They're stunning.
^lovely I'm thinking I will get these new #8 AF53s. I may just sun bleach them for a while though. I originally thought I'd be leaning toward antique edges, but actually I like the patina on the classic edges over time better. I've been kicking the crap out of my BB #8 LHSs for sure. But they are dark #8 and only have mild fading really. My hunch (based solely on observations) is that Alden wants them to stay darker for business wearers, who don't like the fading and...
I found a pair of black shell full straps out thrift hunting last weekend at a spot that's panned out before. Size 7 which fit my gf. So she now has some she'll Aldens of her own.
I guess more specifically, my older Alden color #8, and non-Alden dyed (Rancourt and AE) #8 shoes have shown immediate potential to patina. Obviously patina is a long-term process. On the creases, or within a few weeks some blemishes start showing through. With the new #8, even the creases are just as dark as the rest of the shoe. None of the brilliant bright highlight lines that used to be the mark of a freshly creased pair of #8 shell.It sort of makes me wonder whether...