or Connect

Posts by dinowhite

interesting thread   two things are for sure   1- SAs of companies that sell shoes under their own brand name routinely lie about who produces those shoes, claiming that they produce the shoes themselves when they have no factory infrastructure to do so . I would not be at all surprised if that attitude was adopted at higher levels of representation in those companies   2- I have personally seen shoe boxes marked "for G&G" in the EG factory about one year ago
When it comes to these matters i think that full disclosure is a good idea   Ich Dien sells borrelli/barba etc shirts on this site and thus directly competes with the sites he mentions. This is not a secret but he should mention it anyway, as it has a good side and a bad side. the good is that presumably he has some experience of how the parallel market for these items work so can provide some insights.The bad side is the potential conflict of interests   In...
I can understand the italian - that guy is one satisfied Il Gergo customer   Generally speaking regarding the churchs issue, in the UK I have still not seen a traditional churchs shoe that does not say made in england, but there is a lot of fashion plastic-like crap with the churchs label being sold. Plus the stuff with spikes, with all kinds of 'special effects', etc   I found myself dumbfounded a couple of months ago when visiting the churchs factory shop in northampton...
I find it a little too limiting that  when it comes to shirts almost  all the talk in SF is about  'handmade' details and button material/size   As a consequence the discussion is almost always framed in the 'Neapolitan context',  which is too biased in my opinion. I guess the reason for this is that these discussions are very often made in the context of the high end RTW shirt market in the US, which is what the (mostly US) contributors have been 'educated' to...
I don't know your tastes or your buying opportunities, and I have not seen these shoes in person But from where I stand paying 200 euros for what I see in the pics , are Goodyear welted shoes  and made in italy is not anywhere close to borderline criminal   I am curious as to why you are so adamant about it being such a bad deal. Do you care to elaborate?
that is for sure   There are several brands from the Marche region which look like good bets and I have been planning to go there for a while now, but got sidetracked. Last year while visiting a friend in Zurich I bought a pair from what I would assume is the same kind of manufacturer (Marche, mid 200 euros-well more once in Zurich) called Almas and I am quite happy with them.   I actually like them more than any of Cheaneys I ever had. On the other hand Cheaneys can be...
the shoes look like a good deal as: they look good, Goodyear construction is generally an indicator of durability, the soles show attention to detail which is always a good sign.   the brand is nowhere in SF's 'radar screen' but that is not that important when it comes to italian shoes
I don't feel I am qualified to talk about his tailoring but 'his' choice in shoes- which was a topic of some discussion in this very forum and very hyped in the shoemaker's shops and advertising as you would expect in an age of product placement- was definitely pedestrian   His shoes are (or so they say) "Benchgrade" range Crockett & Jones which is essentially an entry level quality shoe (selling at around £330 in the UK). He could at least have gone for the...
i guess you got it   I find the whole last numbering scheme issue interesting   First there is the issue of continuity. I assume there is no point in using numbered lasts unless you plan to sell similar shaped shoes for quite sometime, which of course means that these must be fairly conservative. To my knowledge there are no RTW italian shoe makers using the concept despite the fact that italian shoemakers can make shoes just as good as the UK....
the 888 must be a coincidence as the last of the shoe is def not a EG 888   The markings are interesting since while they are unlike anything I have seen from EG, they are also unlike anything I have seen from Cheaney. However, I have only started caring about shoes seriously in the last 3 years and I assume that if there was a brand who has changed their markings in that time frame it would be Cheaney.   I dont have a EG Stowe but I have a EG Oundle which as far...