or Connect

Posts by turkoftheplains

What gin did you use? The Martinez really shines with a grainier, sweeter gin-- old tom or genever.
A Mai Tai, a Trinidad sour, and Japanese-- a celebration of orgeat.
Cocchi Torino really is the ne plus ultra sweet vermouth. Every Manhattan I make with something else feels like a compromise since trying it.
I suggest you "stay loose" in a navy or grey 2-button single-breast suit with a blue or white shirt, a tie, and oxfords.
That shirt really wants this tie or similar. Red/white stripes with a black knit tie is a tried and true combination. I am assuming that you're married to the shirt, that the web site description of the shirt as "fuchsia" is a misrepresentation (it looks that way on my monitor at least), and that what you posted reflects your general price range. The tie you suggested goes well with matches and butane.
On this road lies wisdom.
Satin has a sheen to it which can quickly become gaudy. I realize hating shiny ties is part of SF groupthink but also fits with a more general preference for aesthetic restraint that I think a lot of people tend to share here.Shiny ties (yes, even satin) can look great when deployed carefully in a more festive/evening context. A little sheen really does go a long way though, and I generally prefer at least a little bit of surface interest. A slightly-shiny subtly-textured...
When you think about how much you spend on even a (non-thrifted) cheap jacket/suit and how easily a bad tie can torpedo a fit, $60-120 for a great tie is a steal.
100% silk ties are most assuredly not dead-- silk knits, grenadines, and soporific neats are nearly universally adored here. Madders, repps, pindots, and wedding ties can all be quite tasteful as well. In the aggregate there are probably more 100% silk ties around here than any other material. Matte (or low-sheen) finish and texture (along with non-awful color/pattern choices) are the keys to making it work. For a city suit, silk is far and away the safest (and ususally...
Regency Punch. Mint leaves in the ice are in recognition of the date.