or Connect

Posts by Ace Rimmer

^^ Agreed, if you want a shotgun -- buy a shotgun, not a handgun. Personally I would rather have a S&W 629 or 686 over any S&W Governor/Taurus Judge. If you need to do pest control, there are snakeshot rounds available. You can also use 38 Spl/44 Spl loads for target plinking, or Magnum loads for more serious purposes. If only I could find a decent pre-lock revolver at a reasonable price ....
I own all four DVDs produced by Bob Swearer Productions about Dick Pronnecke. The first one (linked above) is the best. The second and third are of rather poor quality and I would not recommend buying them. The fourth DVD, which was released in 2011, is a solid buy (although not as re-watchable as the first). I would also recommend buying the first book (edited by Sam Keith) and checking out the second book online. The NPS owns the copyright (?) to Pronnecke's...
I suppose every man has his price. I personally try to buy US made items when possible, but sometimes you just can't find things that are not made overseas.Electronics are a tough one. My plasma TV is made in the US (Pioneer Kuro). They stopped making them in 2009. Beyond that, what other US made electronics can you buy? Frankly, I just don't know.The good news is that choices are still available. I recently priced cabinets for my upcoming kitchen remodel. I nixed...
You might want to check them out in-store but be forewarned that many RW stores will not carry the GT in store. I went to my local RW store and they said the GT (and Iron Ranger) were "lifestyle" line boots so they did not carry them.PS not to push you into a buying decision but Amazon has the black cherry GT for $248 shipped in 9.0D. They are out of the black cherry GT in 8.5D; there is no sale on the black GTs at Amazon at this time ($320 regular price).
I don't think it is a 100% consensus but it works for some people. I wear 8.5D in AE and my GTs are 8.0D and fit well. They are a bit harder to get into than normal but once they are on my feet they are fine. I am using a wool sock (Columbia Smartwool). HTH!
Great pics, folks. Unfortunately my big overseas trip for the year got canned. However, I was fortunate enough to get some hiking time this summer in Chamonix, France. It was a great time. I wish I had spent more time there.
I'm not intimately familar with the differences between the MSAR STG556 and the Steyr AUG but I believe you are correct on the BHO and the FA being non-interchangeable. I have a friend whose dad owns a pre-89 black AUG ($$$!) and the two don't seem to match up when compared side-by-side.Now that MSAR is gone, TPD is under the radar and Steyr USA have basically stopped making AUG A3s, I don't know what is a realistic option for a new AUG.
I am ashamed to say that I haven't shot it yet. I just got my backordered side rail from Ratworx (backordered December 2009, shipped July 2011!) and slapped it on there. I've only been to the range twice this year (once to qualify for IDPA and the other time to sight in my new Bravo Company upper). I need to pull the MSAR out of storage and get it sighted in, but I am having trouble with some other uppers which take precedence.PS did you see MSAR declared Chapter 11...
I wish I had read "The Richest Man in Babylon" at age 21. It's a short book on the principles of personal finance. It is not a "how to" book, but it will instil you with the principles that should drive your life in the world of personal finance (e.g. pay yourself first). It's written as a series of parables so you won't get bored.
On the subject of cleaning, I have been following Pat Rogers's saga of "Dirty 14", a Bravo Company AR rifle that he and his students have been using in his classes. Last I read (in SWAT magazine) I think Dirty 14 was up to around 31,000 rounds with maybe one "full" cleaning and other minor touch-up jobs (e.g. lubricating the bolt with CLP). While I am very lazy when it comes to cleaning guns, I don't endorse the concept that cleaning is bad. If I were more diiligent, I...