or Connect

Posts by cosmic

An overcoat's function is to keep your warm and dry in very bad winter weather. It must therefore offer enough thickness and coverage to protect your whole body against heavy rain and hail, and to keep you warm and well-insulated as well.   This rules out knee-length coats or shorter - they leave your lower legs exposed in heavy weather. Even if you have an umbrella, sometimes the wind will make it unusable, or bring the rain in at a sharp ankle; and umbrellas...
Church's Hertford is a nice loafer IMO:   http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Churchs-Hertford-Brown-Calf-Leather-Penny-Loafer-Shoes-UK-8-F-355-/350563727604
Dark brown oxfords are IMO acceptable in the city if they are paired with a well-fitting conservative navy suit, since the colour matches so well. I would not wear dark brown oxfords with a charcoal or dark grey suit whilst on serious business in the conservative parts of London. Mid-grey is borderline.    I see many people wearing suits without ties, and badly fitting suits, and beater black shoes. These all look infinitely worse than a good pair of dark brown...
What's the minimum acceptable standard for Business Casual then? Sports jacket, flannels or chinos, dress shirt, dress shoes? I don't think a tie is mandatory for business casual, but I do think dress shirt and dress shoes are. Other things I'd avoid: shirt and tie with no jacket; crappy shoes; short-sleeved shirts; double-cuff shirts without suits. 
You won't look at all off if you wear a charcoal solid or navy solid suit. Look at what CEOs, top politicians, newsreaders etc wear - navy or charcoal solids.    Remember, good fit and appropriateness (as judged by the interviewer) is what matters at job interviews. The preferences of the other candidates who won't get the job are irrelevant. You should also concentrate on having a good quality pair of clean, well-polished black shoes, and a decent shirt and tie. 
Nice thread, this helped with deciding what to get next. I would add few more items: Navy blazer with metal buttons A pair of ankle boots for winter, rugged terrain, and travel A travel suit in a crease-resistant fabric (eg fresco), grey or navy Driving shoes Silver/grey cashmere v-neck sweater Black turtleneck sweater Polo shirt Summer jacket e.g. Harrington Jacket Since you mentioned ties, let's list 'must have' accessories: Sunglasses Scarf (cashmere) Leather...
I'd go for a mid-blue odd jacket, then light or mid-grey, then either brown or green.   I agree with Withaque about the shoes, trousers, and shirts.    Shoes; dark brown oxfords; mid-brown monks or loafers   Trousers: off-white cotton chinos for summer, mid-grey flannels for cooler weather   Shirts: white, cream, light blue solids; and a couple of blue/white checks and stripes
  I was thinking to get the grey chalkstripe as DB, also quite like it in dark charcoal pinstripe/chalkstripe. I've not worn DB before though, so still debating that. Do you have any pics or ideas for DB suits?    I thought of windowpane but I think they can look a bit too loud in a full suit, I don't feel comfortable wearing something that might cause people to stare at me.   About odd jackets...I did actually think of just getting maybe 2 or 3 more casual...
I'm in the UK, so it's a temperate climate: 5-25C is typical, and it's rarely above 30 or below 0. A couple of suits to handle hot summer days, and trips to warmer climates, should be enough.   One fresco suit could be a good idea though, the crease-resistance would make it great as a travel suit, and having one work suit with a warm weather bias would make sense. Probably best in mid-grey, so if I need to do business abroad, it's formal enough, but with that colour it's...
Let's discuss the staples of a decent wardrobe. I'm slowly upgrading my RTW suits into bespoke replacements, so I want to make sure I get it right, and don't choose something I'll regret a year (or 5) in the future. I'm ignoring formal wear like dinner suits, morning coats etc.    Work suits:    1. Navy solid 2. Charcoal solid 3. Mid-grey sharkskin 4. Grey flannel chalk-stripe 5. Navy pin-stripe   Casual suits   6. Blue linen 7. Light-brown or...