or Connect

Posts by HoratioNelson

I think the top combo looks OK, but it's hard to tell when the picture isn't so detailed.   As for the subsequent post with the checked shirt, a) the tie pattern is similar in size and colour to the shirt pattern, so it's not ideal; b) open neck would look better. I would find it difficult to pick any tie to go with that shirt as the colours are fairly loud and there's a lot going on. Perhaps a black tie with some woven/grenadine/woolen texture. Anything shiny and/or...
Apologies for bringing up an old thread, but I purchased some of the City line shoes about 18 months ago (from Royal Exchange store in London) and it’s been interesting seeing how they’ve fared in this period.   In summary, I wouldn’t purchase them again because (i) they’re not a bargain, (ii) they haven’t worn so well and (iii) there are better shoes at a similar price point. They’re not all bad though.   I’ve attached some pics to show how they’ve worn in this...
For what it's worth, I'll add my two cents/pence...   Benson and Clegg are worth a visit/window-gaze, near the top of Piccadilly Arcade (which leads down to Jermyn St anyway). I'm a bit obsessed with their coin cufflinks (can be viewed on their online store), but they're really known for their buttons and blazer badges.   Also, if you're coming over from the US, Boggi may be worth a look at on Jermyn St (and they have a branch in Sloane Sq). They're not so...
Completely disagree with this - I've just come back from a week in Milan and despite the ubiquitous resonanably priced coffee there, I realised that the top offerings in London are just first rate.
Hmm.. Umbrella the most useful thing - go along to James Smith & Sons on New Oxford Street - they do decently built and quitessentially British umbrellas starting from about £45.   As for clothing, on the assumption you will be using an umbrella and not relying on the clothing item to stay dry, it doesn't need to be waterproof or anything as rural as a Barbour.  Pea coats are quite fashionable - see here for one on sale at a decent price (although it looks a tad...
Notwithstanding my suggestions above, I don't actually like my burgundy stripe shirt. Even when I do find a tie which goes with it, it actually find I have so many other shirts which go better with such tie!
Similar to Drakes, my favourite tie (which I don't own): http://www.dunhill.co.uk/the-shop/menswear/ties/ta0130k/red-bulldog-print-tie
I have one shirt with burguny stripes and find it very difficult to wear a suitable tie.   The shirt is question is below.   Solid navy, as suggested above, is a safe bet. But I still don't find it looks that great. I'd also stay away from diagonal university stripes on top of a striped shirt.   A medium/dark green (with some sort of navy/burgundy pattern/polka) is possible, but I can't find any pics at the moment.   Here are a few other ideas from...
  Both really.   The peculiar thing about bengal stripes (I have only recently beung to notice this) is that the shirts look quite muted from a distance (i.e. this looks very similar to a plain lightish pink shirt from 20 metres or).   But in order to achieve that effect, the stripes have to be a particularly bold colour in their own right, given that they are competing to blend in against white. While this works when when observed from a distance (similar to the effect...
I only have 2 button suits. Tend to wear it buttoned up on the way into and out of work (save for when on the Tube and stretching one arm horizontally/vertically to grab a railing).   When in the office (where not everyone wears a tie these days), it's off 90% of the time but when worn, I often have it deliberately unbuttoned as it seems ever slightly too stiff/formal in that setting when done up.