or Connect

Posts by jshastings

Also consider Frederique Constant. 
It looks like thick oxford cloth to me, maybe 80's 2-ply. 
I can't speak to the culture at NYU (though the times I visited it was little hipster...) but I know at my school it would be very odd to see someone wear a tie to class. That said, I think kids at my school tend to dress better than the average college student. For reference, the average guy here wears an OCBD, chinos, topsiders and a barbour to class. When it gets cold, guys sometimes wear a sweater and a down parka. That said, that may not be the norm at your school,...
    Really not trying to be mean here, but you wore that in public? 
  Lulz.
    I think you're making a great choice, especially given the decision calculus. For the price, in your shoes I might have gone for Baume et Mercier, but my taste may very well be different from yours.    Anyway, good luck and enjoy your new watch. 
I disagree, go with a JLC if you can afford it. Everyone has a Rolex. Get something a little bit more unique; the movements in JLC's are exceptional. 
Frederique Constant looks like a great bet at your price point; I'm personally a big fan of JLC, but new they might be a little bit out of your price range. Even some very high end brands use ETA movements, but as I understand it, they modify them significantly, as may also be the case with Frederique Constant. I guess my point is that you shouldn't rule out F.C. for using an ETA mov't. IWC might also be a good bet. 
S. Allen is definitely not an in-house movement, (though of the ones you listed, I think only the seiko would be) which is fine, but you may want to do some research and see what kind of movement is in each one of these; you may find that you're paying more for the name than the watch. For example, the seiko 5 uses Seiko's mass-produced 7s26/36 movement, which is their standard, very durable, shock resistant movement. They're inexpensive and durable.  The Tissot is...
Where did you get the suit?