or Connect

Posts by JP Marcellino

That is an interesting Reuters article you found.  not that Chinese factory workers build for Gucci or that they get $38 per bag that's old news   What I find interesting is that they are only suppose to work 4 hours? since when, is this now a law or part of trade agreements? it can't be a union thing in China right? Anyone have any insights?
Let me update this post with one more new style i will bring this weekend so you know what to expect from me.  I will also have many of my other styles that came out in 2014.   I had some interest the other day of a short flap briefcase so I will bring this down.  I don't do many of these short flaps.  I think they are great with less of a flap to handle during opening but you just don't see many briefcases in the US cut like this.   This is the F.H Crick briefcase.  I...
Here is another new briefcase style I will have at the trunk show.   This is made with UK Sedgwick bridle leather in a classic London tan, Butt section cut, with a semi-aniline and greased grain.  For those that don't know about this leather type, it is ONLY full vegetable pit tanned leather from the Uk and hand curried.  It also has a tight waxed interior finish.  Here is a shot showing both sides       This briefcase style I call the Gilbert Potter 2101   It is...
  you are correct this is our heritage and should not be "dumbed down" nor misleading. drilling holes in leather? I have heard horror stories like this too.  Got to love the internets and Youtube
In common language, Rancid is usually always referred to Food you Smell or Taste not Leather.  When "professionals" use these technical terms it misleads average customers who really don't care about the technical terms.  And when so called professionals communicate with customers that want to know what they should use to condition leather and they say "oh but olive oil makes it Rancid, so use so and so."  The average customer associates Rancid as bad, when it is not when...
to sum, simply - coconut oil keeps leather "moist" longer than mink oil, and olive oil is somewhere in between.    I would agree, this is why most conditioners are a cocktail that do different things for different leathers and outcomes.   I would just not use the word rancid (even though this is typically what happens) people looking for information on how to care for leather on this forum might become confused.  They hear Rancid and they think their leather becomes...
I have tested all sorts of chemicals, natural and unnatural, heating, water, stress, etc, and I have still not come across "rancid" leather.  What does rancid leather look like from vegetable and animal oil?   I know what dry leather looks like, but Rancid I'm not sure about that   many types of leather have been stuffed with tallows from the tanners for years, way before synthetic came on the scene.  Why don't we see rancid leather all over the place.   I think it...
pb - can you explain some of the "issues of going rancid like animal and vegetable oils have"   many vegetable tanned leathers are stuffed with animal fat, is this the same with this rancid process?   I don't necessarily think synthetic is bad for leather but if you can go natural, i think that is the best way, especially when you are handling this product during the conditioning and after as it is on the leather.   Ive been suggesting Lexol for a long time...
I'm just going off the other post "supposedly wax, silicone, and animal fat free"   and my assumption is based on some of their product listings "Repels water and stains"   I don't doubt they use some sort of plant oil for conditioning, it would be that or a petroleum product   my question posed in the air on SF, really was that if they are not using wax, silicone or real mink, squeezed right from the animal i guess, than what would they be using to repel water on...
 I've seen that Bick4 around but never had a chance to use it.  If it does not have wax, silicone or animal oils link Mink than how does it repels water and stains?  What other ingredient can you use to melt down for leather and have it work like a barrier.  It can not be a natural ingredient right?What does the Bick4 smell like?