or Connect

Posts by Pressfan

The figure for duty and taxes seems far too high. As the shoes are made in the U.S., there should be no duty. HST (for Ontario) on the shoes and the shipping should be less than half the figure quoted. It might be worthwhile to contact Nordstrom and ask them to explain the tax figure. The shipping charge is ridiculous, though.
Quote: Originally Posted by Wrenkin I've not had a brokerage problem with their Fedex service, as they use air, not ground, so it precludes the large fees (if there was brokerage it was closer to $10 than the $30+ UPS Ground has charged me). However I've had problems with real duty, which is to say government-mandated tax (in addition to GST/PST/HST) on foreign-made goods, which is the bulk of BB's products. Recently I ordered 3 shirts in one of their...
In Vienna, I enjoyed visiting Loden Plankl and Ludwig Reiter and Knize had nice sweaters. In Salzburg, I liked Lanz, the traditional Austrian shops in the old town and Dantendorfer (although it was weird to see Brooks Brothers being sold alongside Gucci, Fay and Tods) as well as the branch of Ludwig Reiter. In Munich, Loden Frey was quite nice with a floor devoted to traditional Bavarian clothing. Ludwig Beck was also nice, with a good music department. There was also...
Chaussures Tony in Westmount used to carry them; I don't know if they still do. In Ontario, Fodemesi Shoes in London and Knapp's in Listowel carry Alden (primarily orthopedic models, but you may order Alden New England) and there are dealers in Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver as well.
Quote: Originally Posted by intent Has anyone checked to see if the BB tags in Canada are bilingual? Actually, since last year, the tags for fabric content and care are in English, French, German, Italian, Spanish and Greek.
In Vienna I liked Loden Plankl for their traditional Bavarian clothing and Ludwig Reiter for interesting shoes that you really don't see in North America. Although those were the only places I made any purchases, there are many other fine shops. The downtown area is a pedestrian zone and all the high-end global shops have a presence there, no doubt to take advantage of the attendees to the OPEC conferences. The main department store, whose name escapes me, appeared to...
Brooks Brothers at Royal Bank Plaza has overcoats on sale and prices are reduced 50%. You might be able to find something there.
At the official opening of the Brooks Brothers in Toronto in October, Claudio del Vecchio mentioned that BF would be carried at select Neiman Marcus stores. I asked him if it would only be in markets that did not have a Brooks Brothers, but he said this was not the case. It is a trial run and he indicated it would just be shirts and ties, but Brooks is clearly looking for ways to increase their market share. He also indicated that Brooks had about 100 wholesale accounts...
Back In Time on Old Woodward in Birmingham, MI, (http://www.backintimeintl.com/index.cfm)would be a good place to try. I have only bought new from them, but they do a considerable business in vintage watches and have a repair department. The owners are very knowledgeable and extremely pleasant.
Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett It is beautifully shot and the most depressing movie maybe ever. Not only do we get to imagine a lover of 15+ years dying and leaving us to fend for ourselves but then we are also reminded to seize the day for you could always get hit by a truck crossing the street when you least expect it. The whole thing feels like a Chanel ad where beautiful things are fuzzy and moving in slow motion. Juliane Moore is...