or Connect

Posts by SeaJen

Ours are open votes caste in committee. We rate the candidate on a 4 point scale for teaching, research, and service. The letter we write must include supporting evidence from the dossier, and rationale from the guidelines, for each decision. Those with opposing positions must write minority opinions in the same fashion. I prefer this to secret ballot.
I believe the perceived consequences of speaking up or out, or any other possible slight are far greater than the reality. I can't say it doesn't happen, but in those meetings it really is all about the dossier. At least in tenure cases, where the decision decides someone's future employment. I think in promotion cases such things are more pronounced because the candidate can always reapply later.As to the issue of teaching in p&t, while I suspect teaching-focused schools...
I've served on half a dozen P&T committees at different levels and I have never heard anyone reference a candidate's appearance. Indeed, while the threat of capricious decisions and personal agendas is always perceived by junior faculty, I have never witnessed it. The closest was when two professors in a complimentary disciple to the candidate questioned whether she was really qualified to research her chosen theme; one more usually seen in their discipline than the...
Finally boarded the Buttero bandwagon.
With stern, unrelenting disdain? That's how I now believe I should be guiding my children. How else will they ever learn? :)
I will be changing my parenting style post haste.
He can sell anything, but don't be too hopeful on the price of TJ. The quality is better than the price they command, I'm afraid. 
The law allows only the facts presented to be accepted, which makes the LSAT so fun. On this forum, however, priors do indeed count. What also counts is that Paul's biceps aren't busting out of his jacket like he's an irradiated scientist having a bad morning.
Love this.
Cheers, Murl. We'll be visiting the in-laws in San Diego in a few weeks, but right now we are enjoying the verdant shores of Lake Chautauqua in Western NY.