or Connect

Posts by SeaJen

Timeless and classic, no?
Hi guys! Hope everyone is well. I hope to get back to more regular posting now the summer is drawing to a close, but it hasnt ended yet, as you can see.  
 Somewhat. There are a few aspects to this though.1/ Not everything we value is measurable, but often when we cannot measure what we value, we value what we can measure, which is very dangerous.2/ Sometimes the data gives us one decision, but it isnt the "right" decision for our morals/values/ethics. So how much weight do we give the data versus the other dimensions. NYT op ed3/ Confirmation bias is strong (which is really what the cited blog post is dealing with, I...
 This statement caught my attention. I proposed a graduate course recently, as part of a "Big Data" program, focused on this very thing. Obviously the program is concerned with how big data can be leveraged in all manner of wonderful ways, but I wanted a course that explored where and when analytics can and should be used and where it cannot or should not. Too often people believe that they can provide all and every answer, which they can't - especially when values and...
Tenure track assistant prof positions. Ignorance or arrogance, I dont know, but either way I was thoroughly unimpressed.
I've had candidates turn up in jeans for interviews. None were hired, even those well qualified and suited to the position. It is a competitive market, and a buyers one at that, so don't give the appearance that you don't care. If you dont, neither do I.
All good things, I hope.
My Butteros arrived yesterday. Someone on the thread had said that a 43 fits a 10.5 US well, and I can concur. Very pleased.  
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Three_(colleges) A little bit of snobbery, really, to dismiss Penn, Brown, et al.