or Connect

Posts by SeaJen

Teach!A colleague compares physicians to mechanics and considers those with PhDs as the only "real" doctors. My surgeon FIL would disagree though.But what I find fascinating is that in the US dentists and even pharmacists are given the title of Dr....what!!!??
And I'm sure they regularly engage in pillow fights in their pyjamas.
Clearly not an engineering professor!
It would be the very foolish student who was explicit about their belief that they paid for their grade, but I stand behind my assertion that many, if not most, of the entitled student behavior I witness is related to the differences in what we are valuing in our mutual interactions
Just start each course with a little Sidney Poitier film clip and they will get it....
Indeed. While we (the institution) 'sell' an education, the student believes he is buying a diploma. The differences reflect the value we respectively attribute to each.
 Looking good, CD, but how are you still able to go from work to dinner and from dinner to drinks, consider the this. Bravo if you are.
Social distance is always tricky. I sense that it is more of a problem in the US than elsewhere. 
 Engineered systems, although I have moved into socio-technical systems in the last few years.
I've written a few books and I'm working on another now, but more of a popular reader than an academic treatment. My field does not value books as scholarly work, so its a sideline for me when I think I have something worth saying. Journal articles are the coin of the realm.