or Connect

Posts by BLAUGRANA

I agree with the sentiments on the Orion as well, in particular this one about the 35mm.  I'd want to compare it in person, but I too think the 35mm would be the right fit for me.  The other issue for me though would be than the indices are very similar to that of my Geophysic 1958.  Still I'm drawn to the Orion and other watches that have some similarities in appearance.  
 Curious as to how that played out.    I've not been following watches enough to say conclusively, but I think any regression in pricing is in it's infancy.  They do go quickly.  From what I could tell one of them went in minutes this week.   I thought that Wittnauer looked nice.  Condition was amazing and that Hodinkee strap helped as well.  
 To be fair albeit to myself I wasn't factoring in service costs when I was commenting on value.  Still I think it's a great point that doesn't seem to get enough press if you will when it comes to owning a watch.  In fact I've read more here on TWAT as regards servicing and the related costs, etc then I have anywhere else.  I think the majority of buyers, especially new buyers, don't consider that they may have to spend hundreds if not a thousand dollars or so to get the...
Limited edition Magritte Reverso:     I like it.  Not that I'd buy one, but I think it's nicely done.  
 I agree you get what you pay for.  Still from what I understand there are reputable people out there who could service an ETA based movement for less of a cost and not ruin the watch.  As for the service costs adding up to more than the original price I would say that still probably holds true for a Black Bay if you buy one and hold onto it long enough.  That wasn't the point though.  The point was the difference in price getting the movement serviced and while I agree...
 Congrats on the Orion!  Great choice.  That was the Nomos I was referring to above, though I'd go 35mm.  That said if you're going to 38mm I think you go with the date as it balances out the watch for me.  And I'm not a fan of date windows whatsoever, but I like the font that Nomos use for their date numerals.  Again, great choice and enjoy it!  Oh, and I like the choice of a brown strap.
 Well I was specifically referring to collectible as both collectible by definition as well as potential future value.  For me it's absolutely worthy of being purchased as my initial post suggests whether it's collectible or not.   I understand service costs are not based on the value of the watch and I agree they are what they are.  I was simply pointing out that if the service cost is X amount and thus X% of the total price of the watch as a result of being an in-house...
 I was going to ditch my colleagues and hit that very same Tourneau myself until my conference got cancelled.  The SA I dealt with actually used to work with jewelers and knew my hometown jeweler here in the Midwest very well.  I had a pleasant time in that Tourneau my last go round and I didn't even score any freebies.   Funny you mention the book.  I've been looking at few on eBay of some of the brands that I like.  They look kind of nice and would be interesting to have...
 Thanks.  Just wanted to share my thoughts as some, though from what I can tell not too many, may not have the opportunity to try on some of the watches or simply see them in the metal.  A work conference in Las Vegas was just cancelled and while I won't miss going in general I was actually looking forward to it so I could try on and simply hopefully any number of watches in the metal.  It makes all the difference in the World and some watchmakers are more difficult to...
Black Bay, Submariner, Explorer and watch photos rant!  (Long nerdy post with thoughts and a small rant)   Titles for the TLDR crowd.    Trying on the watches (Sub and Black Bay)   So I went to a local jeweler this afternoon to try on a couple of watches.  Once again seeing a watch in the metal makes such a big difference.  Prior to buying nice watches I wore as I've previously mentioned Victorinox Swiss Army divers.  I got them generally at 80% off and being...