or Connect

Posts by Beardman

I'm about to see Patrick of W.W. Chan, and I'd like commission a blue glen plaid suit. Nothing too crazy. Weight should be in 10 - 11 oz range, give or take.   Looking on the web only (no swatches), I've come across Scabal Eton 751391 and 752104:       and Harrison's Frontier 65047 (on left, obviously)     It's hard to tell from these images, but the first Scabal maybe looks too dark, the second maybe too busy, and the Harrison's maybe too...
Alas, my soul is completely black. (So what am I doing with a midnight blue tux?!)   Also, I want to completely conform to the tenets of good taste, and at the same time stand out as the unique, glorious being that I am.   Maybe I should have had the thing put together with velcro, so I could change my mind at will, like I used to with my Mr. Potato Head many years ago....  
Thought I'd share this bit of wisdom from blacktieguide.com, for what it's worth:   "The body is constructed from the same material as the dinner jacket or is made entirely from silk to match the jacket's facings.  Also unique to the evening waistcoat are its shawl-style revers (lapels) which are usually self-faced when the body is silk or match the jacket lapels when the body is wool.  Like the waistcoat’s bottom, the revers’ lower edges can be square cut or...
Gee, I thought the consensus was no flaps on pockets. OTR tuxes have flaps because it's cheaper to reuse the lounge suit pattern. But no flaps is more elegant and more traditional, no?   Also, I tend to get contrasting linings in jackets -- generally no one sees them but me, and I like little secrets like that. (And, who knows, I may do a Vegas act after I retire. I do sing pretty well in the shower... :-)   Also, side tabs make sense to me in non-belted...
Oh, and the bottom front of the waistcoat is finished in points, which Patrick and I both think is slimming.
Here's an update. I finally sat with Patrick yesterday in New York. We settled on:   Scabal Festival 852054 midnight blue barathea at 280 grams (I was considering others, too, but they all were heavier cloths, and I will always be indoors in civilized countries with interior climate control, and I may even be forced to step onto the dance floor once or thrice) Peaked lapels in black grosgrain, single button, double vents (I put my hands in my pockets), besom...
Nothing to report until July 10, when I see WW Chan in New York to place my order. So far, the dinner suit fabrics I'm considering are Scabal Festival 852054, a midnight blue barathea which I've seen, and these, which I've only heard about and don't know much about:   H. Lesser midnight blue barathea in the No. 312 Formal Wear line Thos Fisher Cape Breeze (70% 8 oz Super 100 + 30% kid mohair) midnight blue Dugdale Brothers 11 oz midnight blue   Any suggestions or insight...
  Yes, precisely. And now that I look again, they're not as bad as I remembered. Perhaps I formed a mental image from a bad pressing episode....
  Yes, precisely, now that I look at them again.   (I remembered it as worse than it actually is. I must have registered this in my mind after getting a particularly bad pressing back from the dry cleaners. As it happens, I've not wore them in a long while. Having been made smaller after a successful diet, they are now relegated to my aspirational closet, given my current physique.)  
  The Emily Post link cited by Marco says:   Dark, business suit matching vest (optional) dress shirt conservative tie dressy leather shoes and dark dress socks   So why insist on black shoes? All it says is "dressy leather shoes."   Why not Allen Edmonds chocolate-brown leather cap-toe balmorals? Why not Alden color 8 (dark wine) cordovan bluchers? Heck, if you've got the money, why not John Lobb bespoke shoes like this (at $6,000+)? I think wearing perfectly...