or Connect

Posts by Mox C

I've seen reference a few places that Cheaney does some work for Paul Smith, and even though the dovetail rubber cleats may be more common, I've seen those heels on a couple of Cheaney's. I don't think that's enough to say with certainty, but I think it's a possibility. The inner labeling doesn't quite fit, but I've seen makers change that for certain stores, though not usually.
I've been meaning to post in here, but took me forever to take photos. I picked up a couple of pieces thrifting a while back. One is a 50's Hickey-Freeman MTM navy blue shawl tuxedo. It's way too big for me, but I'm having a hard time letting it go. A part of me is tempted to invest the $300+ it would take to completely recut the pants and fit the jacket. My grandmother worked at HF from about '48 to '78. I like the idea that she may have worked on it, which would make it...
And this is that 1940's tweed SC. It had a hole in the back, but I grabbed it anyway, as it was only $3.50. I figured the simple herringbone weave, one color each for weft and warp, and larger yarn made it a good candidate for my first attempt at reweaving. I'm really happy with how it turned out. I put a spool of green thread behind the hole so that it was more visible for the photo.The hole was originally a little below and to the right of the two brown specks. [[SPOILER]]
I couldn't find my brush, and it needs to go to the cleaners, but here's that HF tuxedo. [[SPOILER]]
Cheaney makes for Paul Smith. That would be my guess.
I'm going through this right now with a pair of 8.5D Nettleton PTB's I picked up when I first started. I took it down to the red dye and now I'm building up with Tarrago Bordeaux cream. This is my first time trying it. I wish they were my size, as the effort is not worth it just for flipping. I'm looking at it as an experiment though, to see what I can accomplish. I'll probably put them up for trade when I'm done, as there's no way I'll get monetary compensation for the...
I have a Hickey-Freeman MTM navy blue shawl tuxedo with the same tag ('49-'62), plus about 3 SC's, but my oldest is a B&W herringbone w/ blue specks SC with the '39-'49 tag. I've seen a few other people with 1930's stuff in addition to those who already posted, but I don't know if they were thrifted or picked up elsewhere.The tuxedo is way too big for me, but I'm having a hard time letting it go. A part of me is tempted to invest the $300+ it would take to completely recut...
And on US eBay, I don't think there's a way to separate out different shipping based on country, just US and foreign. If you do an invoice and know the postal system you are sending it to tracks, then you can invoice Priority, but otherwise it probably makes sense to have Express listed in the auction.
I sent one to Germany via Priority and it was tracked to his post office. He had the package held there for pickup, and it said so in the tracking. I think a lot depends on the postal service of the receiving country. Addressee requests own pick-up - Item being held, addressee being notified October 11, 2012, 5:47 am GERMANY International Parcels Customs clearance processing complete October 09, 2012, 3:53 pm GERMANY Customs Clearance October 09, 2012, 3:52...
Georgous! Nice score.