or Connect

Posts by TweedyProf

That's the tradition as I understand it.
 I think "bingo" properly conveys my attitude towards the typical four pattern fit. I don't think this claim is inconsistent with the conjecture (cf. the claim about resolving to solid). Four bold patterns is just asking for too much. Since you made claims, this I think is worth posting (and I love that square).  Derivation from conjecture: losing one pattern (e.g. stripes in shirt) would not detract from the fit and would improve it. Still, the scale of the stripes is not...
Since I'm giving assignments here in school.   Conjecture: You are best advised to never go for four pattern bingo, for   a) reducing to a three or less patterned option (i.e. eliminating one of the patterns) will always be better than the four and. b) four will always be discordant in a not so good way, or else, if it works, the fourth will be very close to one of the three or will essentially resolve to a solid.   Remember, conjecture. Please provide a...
@brillopad    There doesn't actually seem to be a big difference in scale between the A's and the B's here (if these reproduce the fabrics, please confirm). Each individual diamond is slightly smaller than the rosette, but the the spacing seems nearly the same.   The A, incidentally will look like a diamond as in the below pic?     .
Really nice thoughts expressed here, thanks. Of course some rules are norms, say what guides dress to a funeral. We were originally thinking of seasonal ties worn off season and talk there of rules, as a shorthand. It's conflation of advice and norms that I was thinking of. I'm not sure there is a norm against wearing donegal off season but it is probably ill-advised.
I don't disagree Archibald, and of course, there's nothing wrong with talking about rules or using them as conceptual shortcuts.   I was speaking to something perhaps a bit more subtle, more to the general culture that is SF and how the newly joined get initiated. Rules of thumb are useful and help to structure behavior in an efficient way. But I think we've certainly seen those whose attitude to those rules seem to elevate them to some set of commandments which isn't a...
In many cases where we are inclined to talk about rules, we might be better off talking about customs, propriety, and social norms. This pulls us into context and history.
A thought on rules.   So many "rules" as promulgated here on SF are really pernicious. They lead to novices thinking they that have to imbibe a set of commandments to dress well. So, we get questions about whether a jacket is too long because the hem goes past one's thumb with others jumping in with their rule of thumb, made on the basis of seeing a torso shot which is useless to determining length. All a bit of rubbish, with no appreciation of why jacket length matters...
Morning gents.   On the wool ties in summer issue.   The issue is not wool, of course, otherwise, we'd all be wearing non-wool jacketings in the summer. I have a wool Vanda which really feels more like a summer tie: it's light, and a "bright" gunclub fabric. But some wools give off a distinctively seasonal, winter vibe, such as a wooly donegal rust tie, as in Elio's post. Elio is thoughtful about his clothes, and when he throws on such a tie with (for sake of argument)...
@Darkside   Such questions more appropriate for the GNAT thread (advice about pairings there versus more theoretical discussion here, though a fine line sometimes!).   Given the previous exchange between Kulata and myself, you would get advice that could go both ways.