or Connect

Posts by TweedyProf

The disadvantage of a low gorge is that there is, I think, a natural tendency of the eye to follow the lapel up and a gorge  breaks that line. Too low, and it breaks too early in a displeasing way. So, I think there's something to be said for the higher gorges seen so often these days. Poets think a lot about when to end a line. If one ends it to soon, there are aesthetic consequences. Seems a reasonable analogy to the lines that define the shape and form of a SC.  It's...
@GusW Why not Gus? They are quite nice, especially the big weaves (they are delicate tho, especially with dry hands in winter).
@sebastian mcfox Not worth it unless free, IMO. People in the know will be (rightly) more impressed with the cut of the suit; people not in the know won't care. BTW: Kent Wang has released pocket squares in 17x17 (they are $65 as opposed to $45 for the smaller ones). I always thought he had some nice designs and there was a little bit of a back and forth with him I think in this thread about the size of squares where many of us pushed for his offering bigger ones.
 That's a nice combination! Red, browns and tans if my screen isn't lying.  True, except when you unbutton your jacket to sit down. Anyway, I prefer a pointed tip on knit ties, and NMWA has a bunch of nice ones from Sozzi. The crunchiness is the desirable casual aspect of a knit IMO, not the flat, lifeless end.
Former and current military folks (I know that's at least one of you, @Murlsquirl) and also experts on creasing trousers:   How do you ensure that you place the crease where it should go when ironing trousers? I line up the seams at the cuff and then fold the trousers carefully, but if I'm off by just a touch when I fold the top, that spoils the seam at the thigh. It might not line up with the previous seam.   Really a problem for cotton trousers. After wash, the...
Fantastic. Curious how that compares to the Tipo cut that you picked up (e.g. the navy donegal...you kept it?). I know the feature differences, but more interested in how the two jackets sit on the wearer. I'd be curious to see a side by side pic if you feel like putting them both on at some point.
Tipo
Ah, I thought that was the light blue. They are all nice: brown, light green, the different blues, salt and pepper gray... I've decided, however, to shift to SpSu ties for now of which there are many nice ones at ET, NMWA, Vanda, and indeed a few at Conrad Wu (HC has sold out the nice linens). On that note: has anyone received new Wus now that Conrad has shifted to a better quality interlining about 6 months ago? The old interlining was stiffer which made dimpling easier...
@Pliny   Shaya (@davesmith) was kind enough to send me a pic of the knotted brown donegal a while ago and I just found it. It's a beautiful tie and should give you a sense of the Cappelli's at ET.   With a textured (non-worsted) navy fall jacket, tie would be great. Enough of the speckling we love about Donegal but not too much. The fabric on the ties are fantastic.   Pliny, that blue was on my list but I wavered. I seem to keep missing the Cappelli's you have an...