or Connect

Posts by dsvelte

It has been autumn in Sydney for the last month, barring 2 hot days.   Matches in the UK has released their lookbook for SS13 and they will be stocking Carminas in the new season, which seem to be popular in these parts. 20 pound shipping to Australia:   http://www.matchesfashion.com/mens/lookbook2?filter=Designer%3ACarminaShoemaker
Some fragrances are 50% off; some are not. It's pretty clearly marked which are which. There was a fair selection of Penhaligon's and Creed yesterday. 
I didn't check Creed pricing at the Sydney store, but Penhaligons was in the $85 mark at 1/2 off. (Oddly the boxes weren't labelled and one of Harrold's many glamorously foreign female assistants had to oblige.)
Re: Harrolds sale and for those looking for fragrances, they had a pretty large selection of Penhaligon's and Creed for 50% off. Not my (butter)cup of tea but there you go.   For the sockless look, the Falke ones at Mr Porter are pretty good even if with the elasticated rim they can look like teensy ballet slippers. But they do the job. At 8 pounds they're OK to add to an order if you are grabbing something else.
Harrolds isn't too bad price-wise for 'fashion' brands, maybe they know that stylish gents looking for classic suiting etc will pay more than the seasonal crowd?    I do think the days of cheap international designer brands being available via Mr Porter etc are on the wane, probably due to the complaining of retailers like Harrold that they are being undercut. In the last 6 months I've noticed that Givenchy, Burberry and even Valentino all have Australian prices on...
  If he waits long enough, he will be back in fashion again. Although did 1986 already come back in 2011? Hard to remember!   Still don't know who his target market is. The clothes are fairly awful to my eye, but as you say, there is something admirable about his commitment to a particular aesthetic (leopard print silk etc). Actually I don't find his stuff remarkably different from the clearance Versace outlets higher up in the QVB, except their cut is a little...
  I noticed that Harrolds at Westfield Sydney had Penhaligon's fragrances at 30% off the other day, I am not sure how their prices compare with other sources.    They also had some remaining new Saint Laurent stock that looked like it could fit an skinny 12 year old.   Has anyone checked out the new Dior? A bit underwhelming to me but their giant glass and metal stairway down to men's suiting is like the hellmouth version of the Apple Store stair. 
My iPhone Mr Porter app updated this morning with 'Support for the upcoming MR PORTER sale'    I wonder if that means next week for the international sale? I was expecting 17 December based on previous years. Maybe they're just well-organised...
    I work on 70 King, I'll be sure to check it out.   The whole strip along King is looking much better now. Marimekko just opened next door (great for gifts), the Hugo Boss flagship is open, Dior is opening its doors soon, T M Lewin is on the old Burberry site... just a shame that when Darrell Lea went belly-up the iconic deco store opposite LV and Apple became a convenience store. Like Sydney CBD needs more of those.   Now all they need to do is pedestrianise George St...
Quick sales update for Sydney, although with the boutiques the sale dates are probably the same country wide.   Burberry - officially starts Sat 1 December - 30% off Prorsum apparel, 20% off London and Prorsum accessories. Good for next winter, if you can think about that far ahead in the heat. Probably further drops in coming weeks will make some stuff more attractive.   Salvatore Ferragamo sale starts Wed 5 December, preview night Tuesday 4 December. Shoes are...