or Connect

Posts by TheNeedMachine

I concur - any time I've ever gotten any of those "I'm on an oil rig in the North Sea and buying this for my roommates uncle" and there's some oddball request, they've been scammy.
Listening to Brian Lehrer on WNYC, the topic being thrift shopping in NYC.  Link.  Discussing for-profit thrift stores, changes to thrift shopping in NYC, stores opening "boutique" and "antique" shops / sections, etc.  Show will probably be archived someplace so one can listen to the whole show later.
 I like flat.
 Goodwill's did not pan out.  Passed by America's Thrift twice and guess I should have gone in...but didn't - another one I had been to was terrible and I assumed the same - my bad.  Did go to St. Mary's "upscale thrift" which had jack.  Originally planned to stay overnight, check out the Agora shops and the Emilio Pucci exhibit at the museum on Sunday but said screw it and headed back home early instead.   Some more nice grabs!!  
Good to see that some of y'all had nice pick-up's today.  I basically struck out - drove to Athens GA and hit 3 GW's along the way, two more in Athens, a SVDP and 2 or 3 indie shops...plus NMLC and Saks Off 5th.  Bupkus.  Couple ties, couple vintage pieces, lambskin coat and Gitman shirt for myself from the thrifts. Sad.
 West Point is a good find (and frickin hard to spot / decipher when you do see them because the lettering is so small).  ...debating whether to take a weekend trip tomorrow, hit the thrifts in a city I've never been to, hit some thrifts along the way, stay overnight and have a nice back road drive home on Sunday...or stay home, get a couple boxes shipped out to Spoo, try to list some other stuff on eBay which has become one of my least favorite things to do...  Decisions....
Couple e-thrifts came in:              Got them because I saw the "gold filled" mark on the backs of both sets, for which Ben Silver charges $695 per set.  I think these were custom ordered (thus more $), since Google search gives me zip on the "Bigelow 500 Club", but it has the Bigelow family crest so maybe I'll find a Bigelow who really wants them.  No idea if they have a melt value...but $20 for ~$1400 worth of buttons - how could I not?    Still haven't...
 Forgot to mention: good communication as well - they called me when they received it and we chatted for a while, then he called back with the exact price, expected results, and to get my OK to proceed (at which point I sent a check for the repair amount), and called again to let me know it was done and they had shipped it back.  Real old-school operation - I think the guy said he had previously done the same work in NY, then "retired" to FL and found a few old gals who...
 I used Fabric Reweavers USA to fix a slit / cut in a suit coat, and they did a fantastic job - I knew where the damage was and could not spot the repair when I got it back.  Was a wool suit coat, clean edge cut...results differ based on the damage, fabric etc.  Kinda hokey website but they did excellent work on my item, and I think the cost was about $70 plus shipping to them - they paid for return shipping (came back in a really big flat box so it was only folded over...