or Connect

Posts by billbro

So, I finally ended up purchasing my first pair of "proper" shoes in the form of a pair of Loakes from Pediwear.   Unfortunately, they seem a size too small (the UK6 seems to have come out as a EU39 instead of 40), perils of purchasing onine as a newbie. Hopefully, my next pair will end up being the right size and fit!
Sorry guys, another silly question from me but I was wondering what the consensus on Church's was? Particularly, as there are rather conflicting views about the brand post-Prada acquisition of them.   Lots of shoe questions, but the more I read and research, the harder it is to narrow down my choices. I'll probably end up full circle back on Herring shoes, but I'd rather be well informed before committing some sizeable cash towards my next purchase.
 Thanks mate, it certainly gave a bit more flavour to things. I had read that Barker was meant to be pretty good, so your response about Loake was helpful. I think I'll probably just email Herring about them, as I can't find that much online about those two products specifically. I knew about the lasts, but I wasn't sure about the difference between the two specific lasts used and I suppose Herring are going to have the most information to provide on that.
So I'm once again seeking some enlightened advice from here - without being able to see the Herrings in person it is a bit hard to determine what to buy.   As my first pair I may as well be conservative, but I'm unsure as to the difference between these two: - http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-info.php?&brandid=6&shoeid=448 - http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-info.php?&brandid=6&shoeid=3447   It isn't immediately apparent to me what the difference between the...
 No hard feelings at all, like I said shoes are probably the remaining neglected component of my wardrobe I haven't bothered with until now. Apologies if this is meant to be obvious, but I would be keen to understand why using Dainites seems like a massive folly? I had a pair with Danite made from Zee's in Hong Kong and those soles have lasted unlike any other shoes I have. However, re-soling is unlikely to happen in any event now, as it looks like I'll just pick up two...
 Thanks Osiris, I'm flexible with the price if the value is there - I haven't done enough reading to form that view yet. I've learnt the hard way that I may as well pay the premium from the get-go rather than going full circle after going for a cheaper option. As for basic shoe care, I already have cedar shoe trees, conditioner, polish, etc. I'll need to keep it in mind though, as 've never been particularly regimented with shoe care with my current crop of shoes (except...
 Thanks for that, the BS at the beginning was still useful for someone like me. While I'm not quite as sartorially inclined and savvy as you lot, most of my wardrobe is probably headed in the right direction, with the exception of my shoes (which I've neglected to learn much about). I might have to bump up my price range after reading through that list - too bad so many of the places are in Melbourne.  Looks like I'll have a fair bit of reading up to do once I find the...
I did a quick search of this thread, but didn't have time to sift through all the responses.   I was just wondering what the general consensus on Florsheim shoes were? I actually have quite a few imperial and royal imperials that I have picked up during various 30-50% sales. Unfortunately, I seem to wear them out quite quickly - potentially because I don't rotate or maintain my shoes well enough. From a longevity perspective they don't seem to last me very long, but they...
I've tried a lot of different places and have yet to settle on a tailor that consistently delivers or is at a reasonable price point.   Hayel & Sons: workmanship has been good, though one of my trousers was a bit botched when Mohammed handled it rather than Hayel. Pricing is a bit on the pricier end of the spectrum.   Lucy's: I've been to Lucy's on a few occasions and wasn't that impressed, though reading the interwebs she is meant to handle a lot of the high end...
 Zenith is my favourite watch brand, but I'm not a huge fan of this particularly dial (e.g. placement of the date window, off centred logo). Also, if it is going to be your only Zenith I think consideration should be given to a model using the El Primero movement.