or Connect

Posts by Balfour

Funnily enough as I said above I was in Roderick Charles recently and had a look at jackets.  When I asked whether they were half-canvassed the salesman said they were fused and then tried to convince me this was a good thing!  I think they did used to be half-canvassed, but perhaps standards are declining.  I can see picking up a beater cotton jacket from them - I couldn't justify the expense of bespoke on cotton.  I do quite like their chinos. As regards blazers, I see...
C&tD are half-canvassed machine made; fully canvassed when bespoke. Re. jacket (sensu stricto, coat) length, many people wear their jackets much too short (Thom Brown fashion forward shrunken suit look).  I'm 5'9" and when wearing OTR found short sizes too short.  The key principle is that the coat should cover your backside.  I went into Roderick Charles recently (they do great chinos - preferable to Cordings:  Cordings insist on a button fly and RC provide a zip fly!)....
I really would suggest you dig out the extra £80.   A decent blazer in a solid wool 13 ounce can take a beating and last a lifetime.  I have one going strong that was worn heavily for ten years and infrequently for another ten.  Still there.  If you can find the funds and invest in a hardy Huddersfield cloth, this really will pay dividends over time. Alternatively try E&R OTR in the sales.  They produce a good, traditional, hardy product (although have lilted a little...
 At 5'9", I don't do DB - my wardrobe is similar in style if not quality to the Duke of Edinburgh (all single breasted 2B, although only jetted pockets with City suits). What do you like by way of blazer-ish odd jackets?
Good to see you posting again! I like my blazers, but I have been won over by the heretical BlazerSuit with its brown horn buttons.  Would never of course wear as CBD in the UK.
They were for me.  But I knew precisely what I was looking for and used their full bespoke option.  I also have some experience with this, with traditional Savile Row under my belt.  I wanted to find a good value tailor and tried a few.  C&tD were good, but I use someone else now (their taste is closer to mine and they have a sensible pricing structure on cloth - C&tD mark up considerably some cloths). John deBoise (their cutter) is a Savile Row trained proper tailor.  You...
In the strictest use of the term, but Manton's BlazerSuit is still classical and tasteful (if not strictly a blazer because it has does not have brass buttons).  Fresco, or hopsack or worsted flannel give plenty of surface interest and avoid the 'wearing a suit jacket problem'.  See the other features as well (patch pockets, swelled edges, brown horn buttons). TBH, I would avoid online made to measure like the plague.  The forum is littered with complete traffic accidents....
I love them.   Somewhat heretical in the UK, but as you say I love the convenience of a slip-on. Strangely, tho', I dislike the high slip-ons you see with brogue-ing and the visible elastic gusset (although I like half-brogue oxfords). The OneShoe is perfect - neat and simple, but considerably smarter than a penny loafer. I was fiscally irresponsible in the end, and went for the Fosters Alvie! 
I think that's advisable.  It's difficult when a place does not have a particular house style. I brought them examples of the style I prefer (very conservative 2B single breasted suits).  But I also described what I wanted in high level terms and in great detail (in writing and discussions), e.g. as regards lapel width, gorge, buttoning point, etc. etc.  Must have been around two pages of details. Sorry to hear about your bad experience at GB - I actually think they turn...
Bespoke OneShoe.   In black shell cordovan or calf?