or Connect

Posts by NoVaguy

Even if they didn't approve the backpay, this was going to be true.
Democrats focused on turnout in 2008 and 2012 whereas GOP didn't. (In 2004 both parties went for turnout in their bases). For whatever reason, despite the vast money resources in 2012, the GOP had no turnout machine and didn't bother to build one. Easiest place for Democrats to get turnout is in the cities, where you have more voters per square mile.Percentages are bigger, but not drastically so. Clinton, Gore, and Kerry all got mid-90s (some polls say Kerry high 80's,...
98% has to do more with the GOP's Southern Strategy than Obama. There's nothing that corresponds to that with respect to Democrats and Mormons.
State would say double jeopardy. No risk of incrimination at the state level.Second wrinkle is the possible federal action, not sure how a court would resolve that.That being said, for any of the hypotheticals that involve Zimmerman bringing an action as a plaintiff (such as the libel/slander suits), he's almost certainly waiving any risk of self incrimination.
True, but I suspect the wrinkle here in a civil action would be that Zimmerman can be forced to testify in state court, now that double jeopardy does not apply at the state level.
edit, never mind, found the jury instructions online.
Yeah, I understand that, and I think it's pretty clear I am talking about a new law or set of case laws. If the statute doesn't cover it, you really can't do much retroactively. I'm talking prospective, or what I ideally would want to be the law for the next time this happens.I'm thinking of negligent homicide in a manner like DUI homicide (or vehicle manslaughter). Negligent to drive drunk, obviously the DUI driver didn't intend to kill the others, but he/she still...
I would characterize my ideal outcome as finding Z guilty of negligent homicide, but I am pretty sure Florida doesn't have a statute that covers that. I probably wouldn't convict for murder or manslaughter unless there's maybe there's gross negligence/reckless level somewhere in FL's statute; I would convict at the negligence level. A little prison time, or time served, barred from owning a gun, etc.I kind of take the attitude that if you're doing the wannabe cop...
They're not the same. Stop acting like they are.
Interesting. Key sentence is this: "In 1978, Ottawa pulled the plug when the economy slumped, unemployment and inflation climbed and public interest in welfare reform plummeted." Regardless of whether the program was effective, that's basically what will happen nearly every time there is an economic downturn, and why, I suspect, GMI will not work in the real world.