or Connect

Posts by TrueBritishGent

Hi, I am looking for smart trousers to wear with or without an odd jacket for casual business dress, and occasional casual everyday wear eg a nice evening meal out, or lunch and a trip to a museum or gallery. I generally just wear jeans for everyday, and suits for work but trying to diversify.  I have read advice here and in other places saying to stay away from breaking up a suit and wearing just the trousers or jacket. I can see why this is a rule with jackets but when...
I guess it is a possibility!
This thread is very interesting to someone who has always loved the look of Aviators , but knows nothing about them - I didn't even know that they weren't produced by the original company any more.  I've got two pairs myself at the moment, one in gunmetal gray with greenish lenses, which I am sure are authentic and modern (came from a reputable supplier, paid a sensible price etc about 4 years ago. The other pair, I'm not so sure about. I inherited them from my...
Thanks for the advice, yes I am looking forward to the sales coming up ... I will probably have a lot more in mind to buy by then. I found this forum a few weeks ago... laughed at how grown men could spend so much time and effort thinking about what they wear ... then spent about £2k on new suits, coats, shirts, ties, cufflinks and shoes. My favourite purchase so far is a Burberry trench coat which I wouldn't have thought about buying if I hadn't seen this...
Thanks for the reply, I will look at Marks and Spencers - I have to admit , despite often reading that they have decent stuff there, I have always more or less ignored it as an option , as it was where my mother bought all my clothes for me from when I was a child in the 80s - so the name has never exactly implied "stylish" to me!  
Thanks for the advice. I thought it was weird that the same site had two items which basically looked identical, with one marked as a suit jacket and one not. I've been looking all over the web for something suitable since I made that post and not come up with much - Ideally I'd like to spend under £200. My favourite I have found so far is slightly more than that (but , I expect like a lot of people on here, I usually have the ability to "find" a bit of extra money if...
Thanks. I thought it looked like a suit jacket, but wasn't really sure why. You're right, I don't really like the idea of brass buttons, I'm a 34 year old publisher, not a retired Naval officer! Can you recommend a good maker or supplier?  
I'm looking for a plain blue jacket that would be versatile enough either to wear with jeans to a bar in the evening or with smart trousers (blue, cream, brown) for work when it's a fairly casual day. I think what I am looking for is what you guys call a "sports jacket" - but honestly, here in the UK I never hear that phrase and if it is used it almost exclusively seems to refer to a tweedy jacket for hunting in.   John Lewis has this one - I like the look of the...
  I agree it is funny advice, but does it hold up in this day and age? Does anyone else know if dry-cleaner based tailors are always a bad thing? As I tried to express in my original post, my impression when I went into this particular cleaners was that they had a quite professional looking tailoring operation going on.
Bought a couple of new suits recently and want to get them altered to fit me a bit better. The only places i can find that do alterations nearby are dry cleaning places - I presume these aren't actually tailors because they don't make clothes from scratch - would that be a right assumption? Went into the nearest one to me today, and as well as a big dry cleaning counter there were several people sitting around a bench with sewing machines working on things, and they...