or Connect

Posts by AeroCarl

I have a pair of slightly used, black Peal Chukka boots.  I purchased them back in May, but didn't wear them much over the summer.  When the cooler temps came during the fall, I started wearing them and discovered that they just don't fit right - I think I went a size too large.  Sources on StyleForum have told me that these are made by Alfred Sargent. I have taken good care of them (conditioning the leather, shoe trees, no rain/snow/salt exposure). One of the laces...
  I've found that "Gentleman" is centered around the history and lore of various men's clothing items.  Although beautifully written and photographed, it isn't much of a "how to dress" book (and it's not intended to be).  "A Guys Guide To Style", however, is a how-to guide and while worth owning, only covers the basics and thus doesn't contain any new information if you've already read The Suit or any of Flussers books.
Here's my second shirt from Modern Tailor.  I'm still tweaking the measurements, but I want your guys' input.  Yes, I know I'm wearing jeans in the pictures.  I intend on wearing most of my shirts with jeans and a blazer as I am a college student and wearing dress trousers would be a little too much for everyday wear.  Besides, the jeans have about the same rise as the trousers with my suit (a Brooks Brothers Milano, which I've heard is known for its low rise - which is...
Modern Tailors tracking system is next to useless because it switches carriers sometime during shipping and, of course, the new USPS tracking number is never provided.  The tracking numbers I get never work - the Chinese carriers website always times out when I enter the number.  Just when I begin to wonder what happened to my order, it arrives.  Oh well.  Given that the products are assembled specially for me and then shipped all in a reasonable time frame, I can't...
I would also recommend a few books.  Alan Flusser's "Dressing The Man" and Nicholas Antongiavanni's "The Suit" are excellent places to start.  Here's a thread that provides a very comprehensive list of the best books on men's style. http://www.styleforum.net/t/309344/definitive-books-on-menswear-thread   Also, for gentlemanly reading, I would recommend "The Gentry Man", which can be found on Amazon.
Hey guys.  I just ordered my first Modern Tailor shirt using their trial offer fabric.  I based the measurements off of a 5th and Lamar shirt.  I need some feedback on the fit of this thing.  I know the sleeves need to be longer. It feels really tight in the arm holes - does this mean the shoulders need to come out a bit or do the armholes need to be bigger?  I've got to say, the fabric on this thing is pretty bad - I literally ironed this shirt right before I took the...
That book wasn't what I expected.  I thought it was going to be a primer on classic men's style combined with a refined and realistic take on modern etiquette.  Maybe some girl advice thrown in here and there.  I bought it almost right when it came out so it's been a while since I've read it, but as I recall O'Brien seemed to dance around his points and really only took an active voice on a few subjects.  It ended up being less of a "how-to" and more of a "Glenn O'Brien's...
The Suit is my #1 pick.  By the way, why is the author referred to as "Manton" on this list?  Is that his real name or something?
I think that looks a lot better.  Practice tying that tie knot - the knot itself should be a nice upside-down triangle and the length of tie extending downwards should have a dimple where it meets the knot. Like this http://www.bows-n-ties.com/cherryred-striped-necktie-p-13858.html?r=o     Also, assuming that's a two-button suit jacket, keep the top button buttoned unless you're sitting down.  This will show off the suits silhouette.  
I was actually thinking the same thing for both suggestions.  I haven't read Dress for Success all the way through, but it does seem to be a nice snapshot of men's style and from what I've heard was very influential at the time of its release.     Blacktieguide.com is one hell of a tome, if you can call it that.  After reading through the guide, I e-mailed the author (Peter Marshall) thanking him for his work and contribution to the world of sartorial knowledge.  Back in...