or Connect

Posts by Tropicalist

The concept of Qualia - Much ink has been spent on this topic for oh, at least 5000 years since writing was invented and probably since before that. Read a short intro on wiki.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qualia
These are so generic that asking someone to ID them is like asking them to ID a glass of water. Just go to any competent shoe store and there will be dozens of options from all possible shoe makers
I have half a dozen office bags and I still yearn for one more that can effortlessly bridge the gap between a traditional hard case and a modern soft briefcase. Modern briefcases have too many pockets, zippers etcetc and tend to get filled up with crap pretty quickly. The traditional hard cases have unstructured space and everything just bobs around. Add to this something that can stand the vigours or constant travel, is easily accessible for security checks where they...
Wearing a watch is a bit like wearing a tie - functionally unnecessary but beautiful.
The more i listen to your advice and browse the stores mentioned, it is becoming clearer that i should focus most of the weekend on  Americana. With globalization, it looks like there is very little unique character left anywhere except perhaps that driven by local quirks of tradition - BB button down collar shirts, seersucker, gingham, madras and straw hats qualify and also perhaps Brooks Brother's blazers in bottle green and burgundy! However, wearing traditions that...
Sea island cotton is definitely soft but $$$ Poplin and chambray can be soft if fine enough cotton is used Mercenarised cotton and jersey weave are quite soft
Have crocodile in burgundy - can go from jeans to a navy suit quite easily. Lizard is more discreet but I have it in two tone tan and chocolate double monkstrap and it is wonderful look for Friday casual with checked medium gray trousers and a blazer, Looking to add one more lizard loafer as soon as I visit my shoe maker. The reason reptiles are not more popular is simple- they are a bit expensive and not as hard wearing as calf or cordovan. My crocodiles have lasted now a...
Dear Lee. Seersucker and shantung are not standard items for bespoke where I liveThe rest, many thanks for the suggestion. You are all very kind.The Paul Stuart, Brooks Brothers and Alden triangle; along with a trip to Creed and Art of Shaving has always been part of my New York weekends and it is great to hear all of you confirm it.Brooks Brothers have opened a store where I live, and if I were not acquainted with the one in New York, I would have dismissed them as the...
Team I will be in New York next week and wondering what are sartorial must haves that are unique to New York. Not really interested in standard shirts, ties, suits or shoes as I can get them all bespoke in the tropics. Couple of ideas I had were Seersucker db jacket Panama hat (for some reason Asian tropics don't have them) Linen, Madras, tussah or shantung ties which are difficult to get here Vintage Cufflinks- something I always try to pick up in London Cordovans if I...
Cotton and linen suits are casual. Fading, fraying and stretching adds to the patina of the suit and reflects your active lifestyle- much like a jeans looks the best a bit broken in. Khakhi or solaro suits look much better this way. Just don't wear them for business. Cotton suits are for hanging out.