or Connect

Posts by Brendon

Hi Coxsackie I have no objection if the tailoring is outsourced. Savile Row have been doing it for years and depended on a series of waves of immigration for it's production off the Row. Still they were tailors.   I am a Cutter and Coat-maker I cut then after a baste trouser fitting, outsource the hand making of my trousers to a lovely lady who has been trained by me and other tailors from London and Europe. She also makes my hand made buttonholes when I don't have to...
Hi Fishball I don't carry QX . So no experience making it. I know it is very lightweight, quite a lot of cloth competition in this area. Felt the samples last year, similar price I believe. Presumed,,,but should be a 2 by 2 which is good. Sorry I don't know more.  Brendon
Hi Concordia I have never used Golden Bale and not familiar with Grand Cru but will look it up. QZ may well be made by Taylor and Lodge? they make for a lot of cloth sellers and they are capable at the luxury end. Can you buy Golden Bale cut length wholesale?. If dealing direct with T & L 30 m to 60 m minimum and only on some cloth I think. ie approx 10- 20 suits. Could be 2 pieces on other 120m or 4 suits. QZ cut length for sure fro HFW but cannot truly answer your...
GDL 203 Nice presentation. Looks good. Lovely looking cloth and I love a good patch pocket to keep the tennis balls in before I step onto court for a serve. I have a first ed of Thorntons sectional cutting from the 1890's ish and there is a superb plate of men in the summer tennis outfits. Patch pockets for the ageing Mac Enroes' .   When I visit Italy each year, the Italian men always have that lovely blue jacket and their blue shirts have that dash of purpleish blue...
Hi Poorsod thanks for that I will have a read tonight at home. Looks interesting and a big and successful Mill. She was definitely referring to old stock ie Cloth sitting on the shelf. My question is that if the wool is changing weight with the weather as we all are. Hence the importance of resting the suits and shoes etc. Then why would the age (other than risking moths and silverfish and just dust) have much to do with it.I have no idea but I do not weave cloth for a...
Hi Depsos Yes Minnis QZ very forgiving. Must be some compromise somewhere as the price is good. Did not go up with HFW new price list and thought it may a little.  The other cloth which has been my go to has been the YTC super 100's pick and picks all cloth 2 by 2 and designed by a guy named Steven Willis. He knows his stuff. Press off well. Not expensive and as they are a small company probably no US rep. Cloth I think is made by Taylor and Lodge who are a premium mill...
Hi Phphl No haven't used the Lesser. I know it's good though if I am to believe the many in London I have talked to who all support it. All seemed to be owned by very large companies now. It is hard enough to keep the mills I deal with happy with the orders I give them. Being a one and a half man/ woman tailoring unit does mean if you carry too many ranges you do service to none. Some shops/tailors just seem to collect the things. Probably easier here in Auckland 30 in...
Hi GDL203 In reply to your question of Rangoon vs Fresco. I am a bespoke tailor and have used both. Very different cloths. Rangoon I think used to be more entry level under the John G Hardy as the business used to be set up with Minnis being the peak then Hardy then bunches with a red colour Criterion was one bunch.15-20 years ago now Can't be sure of this though has been a while for Rangoon. I bought a bit when they were clearing it out.Good cloth but nothing special....
Morning all, if I may use my Trans Tasman bridge pass and join you briefly to say, well done on the cricket, too good by half and too much Starc(h) for sure. Unplayable.    Good to see pretend tailoring is alive and well across the ditch as it is thriving here. I had a banker phone me to do alterations on his Tailored suit that he had made in Sydney. I offered to help if it was indeed made by a tailor in Sydney ( Brother/Sisterhood of craft and all that) but suspected at...
Hi Guys sorry for the absence. I Have been reading away every now and then and saw the suede protection discussions. I was just in Northamption UK picking up some reasonably priced shoes. In fact I am such a trend setter I bought exactly the same pair of suede shoes at Churches I bought there 2 years ago.   Exactly, but 60 GBP cheaper as they only have a few pair of tobacco sued toecaps left  and whilst they,  Churches have moved on I have obviously somehow slipped off...