or Connect

Posts by Brendon

Hi All A lot of discussion involving cedar in its various forms. It could be apocryphal, but I had heard cedar was good for warding off moths in a wardrobe. A young trouser maker from London who was with me for a short while, had heard of cedar balls being scattered through a wardrobe. Some wardrobes are constructed of cedar. Perhaps they are in the know.  Being lazy with shoe tree use, could have some upside. I'm no entomologist but I have decided it is a valid excuse...
Hi Oli2012 No expert on shirting. . Turkey is fast riser on the shirting front, massive production. Biella in Italy is renowned for its shirting. Can teach you to iron a shirt and tie a tie like an expert. but you are on your own in this arena for my input. Fantastic cut length services available here, so bound to be there as well. apologies  Brendon
Hi Lukejackson T Old Tailor told me.... Tailors make in cloth, ladies wear in fabric. Cloth is woven only. Not sure it is relevant today. I often catch myself saying fabric ( from french ). Old tailors tend to say cloth. In my writing I always say cloth I think. Perhaps overly earnest to be authentic. Glad to hear your jacket is performing like a Hummer, bulletproof, will take on a Stucco wall  and you can sleep in it Brendon    
Hi Kenneth237 Cut corner to stop the trouser catching on the cuffs of trousers. as others have said, a little bit redundant with the fashion length of trousers.but a feature I have never seen on cheap shoes.  I was disappointed when my factory shop 220 GBP Northampton Churches ( can't afford the London price) did not have the corner cut away.  As a young man I bought a pair 9 1/2 F Hickstead Brown Brogues( weeks wage...why I'm still poor) and the journey to Northampton...
Hi Freedblack slave unless you are big in the thigh, that could be the only area of concern. Wearing out the fork, quite common with off the peg big thigh men. Largely the dress is no longer cut in the trouser so this can add to this problem of lack of room here. To taper a trouser properly it should largely come from the outside. If taken from the inside as is often done then then trousers are best used for a tumbleweed town as you dismount your horse. I see this a lot...
Gerry thankou but only building on someone elses astute observation of the other shoe missing. Credit goes there I'm afraid. I dare  not try and be dryer than the legendary Australian wit. I have tried on past occasions to ascend the summit many a time only to come up short. The words are now sliding off this oily page. aaah there's the sun, I had lost it for a while. Brendon
Hi deignesicht    And you have put all your shoe trees in! I just love tripping over mine in the base of the wardrobe. There is actually no good way to stand on top of a shoe tree I also agree the full circle with the other shoe in would have been the go for impact. If you are an amputee of course I offer my apologies and see the semi circle as complete in a politically correct sort of way. Also if you are transgender and have not put out the sleeker toed shoes with...
Hi all on the gorge   ....with a tailor, " you pay you have the say". If the tailor is obstinate (so worried about his house name) he can always decline. With Made to Measure and off the peg you can see the Gorge. It is aesthetic of course and has no real bearing on the fit. So be your selves with it, all down to taste. The Roll of the lapel is down to something called spring in the collar. This is put in the melton under collar. A lot of the old screen dancers and...
Ernesto  fair call.... From a technical point of view a peak lapel on the high gorge can be  a disaster when you can see it come over from the back of the jacket. There is a limit as to how high you can get gorge and get a good run of the collar. Still most of my clients would have their gorge around there. But most of them have not heard of Style forum too.The young bucks a little higher and the older gentleman I am working on today, much lower but still about an inch...
Hi Henry Carter and Ernesto Gorge height , elaborate please up or down?  Just curious to know what the thoughts are on this. Sorry to put you on the spot. No right or wrong with this, just curious to know what the VOX pop is with this Brendon